Emergency contraceptives and its effectiveness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
djim1
Awesomeness Quotient: super cool
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Emergency contraceptives and its effectiveness

Unread post by djim1 »

I lost my virginity to my boyfriend who i love dearly, yesterday the 21. We had protected sex the first two times but the third time the condom came off when he pulled out because on principle he refuses to ejaculate inside of me. We're not sure if the came off during or when he pulled out, but we do know that when he pulled ejaculation went all over my sheets. I dont know if all of it went on my sheets, as ive heard the withdrawal method isnt too effective. immediately after this we both panicked but luckily he had bought plan b before had at my suggestion because i was paranoid, so took plan b one step not even 2 mins after the incident. I weigh 139 and am 5'4 and ive looked into the pill that it works less effictive with people with higher bmi's. I dont know where this puts me. Im very scared because im supposed to get my period in a week. My boyfriend is also worried, but has told me before that he thinks he might have reduced fertility due to his heavy intake of medication due to a hereditary disease. All in all, will the emergency contraceptive work? Am i at risk at being pregnant?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Emergency contraceptives and its effectiveness

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Djim,

So, this type of sex will always pose some risk of pregnancy. And it sounds like the effectiveness of the condom was compromised. However, at this point, you've done all that you can do by taking Plan B immediately after the incident. When taken within 24 hours of the incident, plan B is up to 98% effective at preventing pregnancy. So, your odds of being pregnant are very, very, low. You can read more about emergency contraception here:

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

At this point, you will now need to wait for your period to arrive or plan on taking a pregnancy test once enough time has elapsed (you might want to plan on the test, since plan B can make your cycle irregular).

Would you like some info on ways to prevent the condom coming off on future occasions?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic