i have to see a gynecologist

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
coolcat123
Awesomeness Quotient: im ace and thats great
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her but it dosent matter ill go by anything
Sexual identity: asexual and aromantic

i have to see a gynecologist

Unread post by coolcat123 »

Ok so im 18 and never been to a gynecologist before and nor have i ever been sexually active.

Ok so ive been to the doctors office a lot recently ,mainly for two things headaches and why i wasn't having normal periods. I have had blood work done three times in three weeks one for a normal check up and the other two were to test my hormones , the results came back fine so my doctor decided i should go for an ultrasound , and i did.

The results of the ultrasound were that i have poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) this basically means that i have a cyst on both my ovaries , this is the cause for me not having periods for three months to then having one that can last three months. the doctor said that they are not really bad or anything but can lessen my chances to have children since im not releasing an egg like my body is supposed to. Now not being able to have children didnt bother me since i dont want any of my own anyways , but the doctor has referred me to a gynecologist that has a special interest in girls who have PCOS and that dont fit the normal description like myself.

I have never planned on ever going to a gynecologist , i have never been in a relation ship and i have never been sexually active and i plan on it staying that way. I did some research on PCOS and then on gynecologist and im getting kind of nervous , i dont know what to expect and i really dont want to go but i know that it is to check to make sure i wont get cancer or anything from the cyst.

Is there anyway to help me to know what to expect and how to maybe be more relaxed and reassure myself a bit more.Any help would be much appreciated.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: i have to see a gynecologist

Unread post by Heather »

Really, just like anyone with teeth should ideally go to the dentist for regular, preventative healthcare, the same goes for anyone with a uterus going to a reproductive healthcare provider. So, even if you never did become sexually active in your lifetime, or weren't having the issues you are, it'd be advised you go to a reproductive healthcare provider at least every couple years for basic preventative healthcare. It's good you're going: never going wouldn't have been a good choice for your health.

Assuming you had a transvaginal ultrasound for this determination, a basic bimanual exam and pap smear won't likely be any more intense than that, or seem that dissimilar. But we do have a piece here on the site that gives information about what people should expect from a general first-time exam here: Your First Gynecologist Visit. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic