New birth control

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Amanda45
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I always try my best
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

New birth control

Unread post by Amanda45 »

Just about 2 months ago I had my nexplanon removed. I like LARCs but I wasn't sure what I wanted next so my doctor gave me some birth control pills in the meantime. I only ended up taking them for like 2 weeks then I got the paragard IUD. I'm super psyched about the no hormones thing. However, I know periods can be heavier the first few months. But I got my period twice this month. Is this because I was switching prescriptions around or because of the paragard? My period was highly irregular on nexplanon so I feel i might just need some time. And if so how long would it take me to get back to normal?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: New birth control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Amanda,

A likely explanation is that your body and cycle are adjusting to switching between the three methods. You're right that your body may need some time to adjust, but we really can't predict how long that will take, because every body reacts to changes in birth control a little differently.
Amanda45
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I always try my best
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Re: New birth control

Unread post by Amanda45 »

Thank you! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic