missed birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mschra
Pronouns: she

missed birth control

Unread post by mschra »

On saturday i threw up an active pill and the next morning i got my period which lasted for 5 days (until thursday). Today (friday) i had unprotected sex. am i protected against pregnancy? Should i skip my placebo pills which i am about to start? should i take plan b?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: missed birth control

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi mschra,

Which birth control are you using? I would read the instructions which came with your medication as they will have more specific information.

Usually with the combination pill people don't have a period but tend to have withdrawal bleed which can seem like a period while taking placebo pills... but you say you are about to start your placebo pills? I'm a little bit confused so if you could clear that up it'd be helpful.

With the combination pill, when you miss one pill you usually take it late instead, i.e. within 24 hours. If however because you missed it /threw it up you may have had about 7 days in the 'placebo' phase starting a day early from last saturday to today, my instinct would be to start back on the active pills today or tomorrow, and there would be no need for plan b... but this depends again on which medication you are on, and if you are taking them correctly in the first place.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
mschra

Unread post by mschra »

i use desogestrel and ethynal estradiol. i got my period on the last week of my active pills and i start my placebo pills on sunday
mschra

Unread post by mschra »

and before my pill i threw up i have never missed a pill or taken one late
mschra

Unread post by mschra »

Jacob wrote:Hi mschra,

Which birth control are you using? I would read the instructions which came with your medication as they will have more specific information.

Usually with the combination pill people don't have a period but tend to have withdrawal bleed which can seem like a period while taking placebo pills... but you say you are about to start your placebo pills? I'm a little bit confused so if you could clear that up it'd be helpful.

With the combination pill, when you miss one pill you usually take it late instead, i.e. within 24 hours. If however because you missed it /threw it up you may have had about 7 days in the 'placebo' phase starting a day early from last saturday to today, my instinct would be to start back on the active pills today or tomorrow, and there would be no need for plan b... but this depends again on which medication you are on, and if you are taking them correctly in the first place.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
i use desogestrel and ethynal estradiol. i got my period on the last week of my active pills and i start my placebo pills on sunday. before throwing up my pill, i never missed one or took one late.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic