EC, periods, and anxiety

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

EC, periods, and anxiety

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Cranberry Killer,

The first two, small things I wanted to address are, first, that there is nothing you can eat that will induce your period because that's not how periods work (you can read about how they do work here
On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation ). The other is that, with EC, there's no guarantee that you will experience specific symptoms, because everybody's body reacts to it a little differently.

Beyond that, from your post, it sounds like engaging in sexual behavior at this level is amplifying your anxiety. Are you seeing anyone for anxiety and, if you are, have you spoken to them about this? I'd also recommend dialing back your sexual behavior to place where you feel comfortable with and informed about the risks involved.
Cranberrykiller
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight Female

Re: EC, periods, and anxiety

Unread post by Cranberrykiller »

But is there a possibility of the EC, if taken a few days prior to the period date, will post pone it? And if yes, for how many days should I wait?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Cranberrykiller,

Yes, a common side-effect of EC is that it throws off your cycle for a little while. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict when that side-effect will wear off. You simply have to be patient, and maybe do some self-care, in the meantime: Self-Care a La Carte
Cranberrykiller
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight Female

Unread post by Cranberrykiller »

Yes, I am seeing a counsellor for my anxiety problems, but I have not told her about this 'pregnancy scare' or even the fact that I popped an EC, I fear, I will come off as childish... was there really a need for me to have taken that EC? I feel it doing 'things' inside my body.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

I would recommend that you do raise this with your counselor the next time you see them. They can give you tools for managing the anxiety you have around pregnancy (other than not engaging in sexual activities that you know cause you stress). If you feel awkward saying the subject out loud, you can even write what you want to tell them down on a piece of paper for them read. Does that sound doable?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic