Spermicide + Lubricant

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SugarPeach

Spermicide + Lubricant

Unread post by SugarPeach »

I want to use condoms with a spermicide film, but my partner & I would like to use lubricant. Is it safe to use lubricant while using a spermicide film? Will the lube render the spermicide useless if they interact? Thanks! :D
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Spermicide + Lubricant

Unread post by Danny S. »

Hi SugarPeach,
Here's an article about spermicide from our Birth Control Bingo: Birth Control Bingo: Spermicides. We don't recommend spermicidal condoms, because they are proven to be no more effective than condoms without spermicide, and the spermicide itself can have some adverse effects. As for the lube, spermicide on condoms usually comes in the form of lube. I'm not sure about use with additional lube, but because condoms with regular lube are just as effective as those with spermicidal lube, I would suggest just using regular condoms and then using as much lube as you want! If you want to discuss other options for birth control, let me know.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there: looks like there was a bit of a misunderstanding about what kind of spermicide you were asking about.

By all means, lubricant can be used when also using spermicidal film. As with any other method of contraception, just read the directions for the film, and rest assured that if it doesn't mention something like this as being an issue, it's because it isn't. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Danny S. »

Oops, thanks for the correction, Heather!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic