Skipping placebo pills to prevent a period?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
katkit0598
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Skipping placebo pills to prevent a period?

Unread post by katkit0598 »

Hello! I have been taking the pill for a few months now (I believe I am on my 4th pack currently) and so far I am loving it. It has reduced my formerly terrible cramps to almost nothing, and now my period is super predictable and regular.

That being said, I already know that my next period will be on Tuesday March the 14th, and that the following period will be on Tuesday April the 11th. April 8th-12th I will be visiting my boyfriend who lives 10 hours away (who I haven't seen in months) and for many reasons (intimacy, not having to bring tampons everywhere, comfort, etc) I would really like to not have my period during that time!

I've heard that it is possible to skip your period while on the pill by skipping the 7 days of placebos and starting a new pack of pills immediately...is this true?

And if so, after skipping the week of placebos, how should I then get back on the right track? Just finish out the second pack (active + placebos)?

Thanks in advance!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Skipping placebo pills to prevent a period?

Unread post by Eddie C »

Skipping your placebo week is possible but it does NOT guarantee that you won't have your withdrawal bleeding. For some people it works perfect when they do it, for some, it doesn't. For some people works sometimes and then other times it doesn't. Is really hard to predict how bodies will react. Here at Scarleteen we advice to avoid it, especially for young adults, because there's no enough data on how safe it is to do it.

If you want some information about this topic, you can read the next article: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_ ... uppression

Hope this helps! :)
katkit0598
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Unread post by katkit0598 »

Ahh ok I see. Thank you! Well even though I would prefer to not have my period while there, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did. Thank you for the advice!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

You are very welcome. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic