Question about Antibiotics

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
misslilahj
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Question about Antibiotics

Unread post by misslilahj »

Hi, I just had a question about my birth control and antibiotics. I've heard several different things regarding birth control interactions with antibiotics. I really need them cleared up.

My general practitioner told me once that there is no proof that amoxicillin effects my birth control so he just suggested I take them at least two hours apart. My pharmacist told me the same thing. I trusted them and I didn't use a back up method of birth control when we had sex, although he does always pull out. Everything turned out normal and that was months ago.

However, this week my dentist prescribed me the same amoxicillin antibiotic and told me that it is effected. Then when I talked to another pharmacist she said the same thing!

So here's my big question: is it effected or not?

And if it is effected and I need to use a back up method, is withdrawal a good enough "backup" or do I need to use condoms? Also for how long afterwards will I need to use them?

I'm sorry too. I know this seems like... "Uh girl just shut up and use condoms." But I really hate them. I find them uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I'm on birth control SO I don't have to use them. But I'd obviously like them better than an unplanned pregnancy.

Thanks for all your help!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question about Antibiotics

Unread post by Karyn »

The answer to whether or not amoxicillin affects the pill is: probably not. (Sorry, I know that's likely not the clear answer you were hoping for!) The research that's been done up to now indicates that while it's very unlikely that most antibiotics interfere with the pill, the number of people included in many of those studies has been too small to know absolutely 100% for sure. The dentist and pharmacist who advised you that the pill IS affected by antibiotics were either working with outdated information or simply erring on the side of caution, and whether or not you need a backup method really depends on how much risk you're comfortable with. If you want to read up more on what interferes with the pill, we have a piece all about that here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control

As far as condom comfort goes, if you do decide that you want to use them as a backup, there are a couple of things that can go a long way towards making them more comfortable. Adding a few drops of water-based lube on the outside, for instance, usually makes a huge difference in comfort. Too, if you find them downright painful (especially if your vulva and vagina feel itchy or swollen afterwards) you might want to check for a latex allergy and switch to non-latex condoms if necessary. (Checking for a latex allergy is pretty easy: just wear a latex glove for a few minutes, and if you do have an allergy or sensitivity, the skin on your hand will react.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic