Mastrubation Smell

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
NotSure
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Mastrubation Smell

Unread post by NotSure »

I'm a 15 year old girl and I want to mastrubate, but I tried it and the dampness around my vulva really bothered me, and when I sniffed my hand it really stunk. I don't have any problems or insecurities with my body, just the wetness and smell was kinda gross (mostly the smell, though).
Any suggestions?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Mastrubation Smell

Unread post by Karyn »

Vulvas are pretty much always a bit damp: that's just how they are, kind of like the inside of your mouth is always wet. Too, the vagina makes its own lubrication during arousal, so the vulva and vagina will generally become even more moist during masturbation than they may be the rest of the time.

As for the smell, genitals do generally have a slight smell, which many people describe as a bit musty or salty, kind of like sweat. A very strong and/or fishy-smelling scent can be a sign of infection, and you can always check in with a healthcare provider, but if they give you the all-clear then you can be sure that what you're smelling is just the way your vulva smells. Bodies in general are always going to smell like, well, bodies, so maybe it would help you to think of this as just another part of having a body, and not a problem?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Mastrubation Smell

Unread post by Alice O »

Hi NotSure,

I just wanted to add that when I first started masturbating, and exploring my vulva/vagina in general, I also had a strong response to the smell. I felt really embarrassed about it, and also kind of grossed out. Once some time passed I got used to it though. And now I like it! (Although I'll be honest, I still don't particularly like the way my vulva smells after a sweaty workout.) It also helped/helps me to remember that all other people with vulvas/vaginas, or people who have sex with those people, are pretty used to the smell too :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic