Pregnancy Test

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
wildprincess
not a newbie

Pregnancy Test

Unread post by wildprincess »

Hello all,

I recently had sex for the very first time two weeks ago and as with starting any sexual activity, I started getting anxious about the possibility of getting pregnant. We were using a condom and the condom did not break or did it have any leaks. However I was still paranoid.

Tomorrow I am due for my period but for the past few months, my period has been going haywire for no apparent reason. It could be possibly due to the increasing amount of stress from school as well as my holiday in December. I decided I couldn't really wait and bought a pregnancy test to quell my anxiety. It came back negative and I was relieved. However, I am a little concerned as to whether the results are accurate. I don't feel as if I am pregnant but I was still wondering whether a false negative is common and if the results obtained are accurate and that I should stop worrying.

Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Pregnancy Test

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Wildprincess,

As long as you took the test according to the directions, you should assume you can trust the result. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
wildprincess
not a newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! I read the article and it says that I should wait a minimum of 14 days before testing. It has not been 14 days since the date of intercourse. Are the results still considered not reliable even though I am expecting my period tomorrow?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

I recommend reading the directions for the specific test you took (if you threw away the box, you might be able to find them online). If they say that you should wait fourteen days after the incident to test, then you may have to retest in a few days.
wildprincess
not a newbie

The instructions on the packet didn't say much except on how to perform the test. Should I retest if my period still doesn't come or can I be reassured with this result?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

If you feel you didn't wait long enough and the test directions do not offer guidelines, then you may want to retest after that 14 day period, if you think doing so would help you feel at ease.
wildprincess
not a newbie

Thank you Sam for your response. I checked and the box never mentioned any specific date which I can start testing. My period is late and I'm starting to get anxious. However I guess all I can really do is wait to test again in about 4 days time. Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic