Papsmear and ovary question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Papsmear and ovary question

Unread post by FadedPassion »

I have a couple of questions. I'm on birth control pills (Tri-cyclen) and I've been on them for 6 months. I had a papsmear done last Thursday. (My period was expected on Monday). During my papsmear my doctor said I was bleeding a bit. After my pap I kept getting an aching feeling and burning sensation that lasted a few days. I was also spotting 3 days after. Is this normal?
Also, I noticed after my papsmear I was feeling a slight burning sensation near my left ovary.
I mentioned to my doctor that for the past few months I was feeling a dull ache and slight burning sensation around my left ovary. She did a pelvic exam. She said she felt nothing strange. I've also had an ultrasound done last year for something unrelated but they checked my ovaries and it came back normal.
The pain is not extreme or very painful at all. It just kind of aches if that makes sense. My doctor thinks it's probably muscle related because it only really aches when I sit for long periods of time. She said to keep an eye on it and log when it hurts. Stupid question, but where are your ovaries located? I tried looking on Google and pictures seemed to show them higher in between the vagina and belly button area. The ache I'm feeling is located in that fold where you sit (I hope that makes sense lol).

Sorry for this long post!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Papsmear and ovary question

Unread post by Eddie C »

I truly believe the only stupid questions are those we do not ask because we prefer to assume, so ask all you need! :)

Here, this is a great place to start: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... s_and_more

Not every person experience pain or spotting after a pap smear but it is not that uncommon when some people do. If the pain lasted just a couple of days, and especially if your doctor didn't find anything problematic while testing, then I think is safe to assume it was because of the pap smear.

You said your doctor thinks that this pain might be muscular so, have you tried stretching when you get this pain/feeling? Sometimes when we spend too much time sitting we can get all kind of muscle tangles that can feel very uncomfortable.
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Unread post by FadedPassion »

Awww thank you so much!
Yeah I don't know what she did she seemed to really scrape me during the pap lol. Apparently she has to scrape 3 times. She did 1 and said I was bleeding so she needed another to make it more accurate and then she did an hpv test one and had to go deeper into the cervix so I'm sure that's why I'm hurting and spotting. The spotting lasted for a good 3 days then I got my period.
I've been attempting to stretch a bit more but I've been slacking a bit. I will definitely start to in the next few days. It's hard to explain but it's like in that fold of skin when you sit it feels almost hot inside, kind of like (when you apply icy hot cream to your skin). I've also been very stressed out the past few weeks which has caused my body to tense up and ache. That's why I wonder if it's more just muscle and stress related.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It is definitely possible to get a little extra pain from stress/tension, so while we can't say for sure what the pain you're noticing is, it could be a factor. Hopefully it'll go away soon! One other thing that you might find helpful would be a heating pad or one of those stick-on heat patches you can find in some drugstores; they can be very soothing for certain kinds of muscle cramps or pains (including menstrual cramps).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic