Menstruation Inquiries

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
jnjn
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Life is like a highway, over take then take over.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Worried

Menstruation Inquiries

Unread post by jnjn »

So my girlfriend had her period last month a week delayed from the usual. Let's say her normal was in every 1 of the month but she got it on 7. She got late because she got some pregnancy scare and got some stress in it. So in that case, will she ever got her regular period again? Or will she expecting it on 7 again?
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Menstruation Inquiries

Unread post by Alice O »

Hi jnjn,

As you have noticed, the Scarleteen staff has not responded to your previous posts because we do not respond to pregnancy scare posts. But we do answer questions relating to bodies, gender, relationships, sex & sexuality, and sexual health, among other topics. Since your menstruation question fits into these categories, and is not directly about a pregnancy scare, we will happily answer it.

The answer to your question, in short, is: there is no way to know for sure. Cycles often do not run like clockwork, as your girlfriend's experience has shown.

In Scarleteen's main article on menstruation, Heather explains: "You might even find you skip a period sometimes, or have a way shorter or longer cycle seemingly out of nowhere. Periods and fertility cycles can vary a lot or be very different sometimes because the reproductive system is pretty sensitive: all the various changes in our lives -- rest, activity, how and what we eat, stress, health changes, how our bodies can change after pregnancies, even a move from one place to the next -- can impact cycles and periods." The article also says, "So, if your period is not exactly the same for months or years on end, no need to worry: that's more common, not less. A regular period just means your cycles are around the same number of days each time, with room to give or take a few days earlier or later. (A late period, for the record, is generally considered so only once it is five days later than the latest it is expected.)" You can find that full article here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation

You may also want to check out this piece: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period? It explains a bit more about the different reasons why a period may come at different times, or not at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic