Diarrhea on The Pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
cj4289
not a newbie
Pronouns: her

Diarrhea on The Pill

Unread post by cj4289 »

So I'm going to get very descriptive here so I apologize, but for last three days I have had some sort of stomach bug that has affected my bowel movements. I'm worried about the efficiency of my combined birth control pill. The first day I had diarrhea just before and after taking my pill. The second day I had it five hours after taking my pill. Today, I had soft stool but not loose and watery like the last two days. I seem to be keeping food down for a long period of time, because both cases were many hours after eating any kind of food. My packet leaflet is not specific about what kind of diarrhea poses a risk. I always use condoms as a back up method, but I don't want to engage in sex if my birth control is definitely compromised. I asked my obgyn after the first instance and she was not very concerned, and did not give me any clear answer. I'd call my doctor or pharmacy again but it's Sunday, so no where is open.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Diarrhea on The Pill

Unread post by Karyn »

Medically speaking, diarrhea is 3 or more loose stools per day over multiple days (basically, enough so that it's clear you're absorbing little or nothing in your digestive system); since that's not what you're describing I'd say there's nothing to be concerned about with your pill. Too, if your obgyn didn't seem concerned, then you can trust that your pill has not been compromised. However, if you would feel more comfortable not having sex until you've checked with a pharmacist or until you're onto a new pack of pills, then that's always an option.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic