Accuracy

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
gatesy08
not a newbie
Pronouns: she, her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Accuracy

Unread post by gatesy08 »

So in April I was worried about my pills not being as effective because of some mild diarrhea I had. Anyways I had a 2 day withdrawal bleed on my break week, just super light during the last week of April. Anyways I am still anxious about it so I keep taking tests. Even one today. They have all been negative. Should the tests be showing accurate results by now?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Accuracy

Unread post by Karyn »

Heather already answered your question about test results. It seems pretty clear that this is about your anxiety: one of the things anxiety does is make it harder to believe or trust the information we're given, so taking more tests at this point isn't likely to help you feel any better. (We even have a piece about that here: Anxiety Lies)

Have you had a chance to discuss this pregnancy anxiety specifically with your therapist? If not, would you like some help figuring out how to bring that up with them?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
gatesy08
not a newbie

That'd be great. Thank you.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

No problem. Can you give me an idea of what you've talked about with them so far, what they've suggested, and what you've told them as far as the details of what your anxiety is about? (So for instance, have you just said "I have a lot of anxiety around health" or have you been more specific?)

We have a piece on making the most of therapy that you might also find useful: Process This: Getting the Most Out of Therapy
gatesy08
not a newbie

It's mostly been me explaining my health anxiety to her and how the people close to me react to it.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Okay. So, if you haven't already, at your next appointment I would explain specifically that you have strong anxiety around the possibility of pregnancy even though you have had multiple negative tests, and that you would like to work on some strategies for dealing with these anxious thoughts when you have them. If it were me, for example, I would say something like, "I know we've already talked about my anxiety about health, but one of my biggest anxieties is pregnancy even though I know realistically I'm not pregnant. I'd really like some help dealing with that, and I would also like it if you could teach me some strategies I can use to calm myself down when I'm feeling especially anxious." How does that sound?

When you say that you've discussed how the people close to you react to your anxiety, is that because they're not supportive?
gatesy08
not a newbie

Thank you for that advice. It's nice to see it written out like that.

They are supportive, but I think get annoyed because they can see how irrational I am being, but I cannot.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Glad that helped. With the people close to you, do you think it would help if you explained to them that you know you're being irrational, but that's part of your anxiety?
gatesy08
not a newbie

Hi Karyn,

Had another therapy session today that seemed to outline why I have trouble believing the facts and logical side of things. (ex. multiple negative pregnancy test, light withdrawal bleed.) and she noted that it has to do with the feelings that are assiociated that that and the feelings mean more and outweigh the facts for me right now.

I have said that to the people close to me, but it only helps so much.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

When she said that to you, did the two of you then discuss how you could shift that dynamic a little so that you have an easier time preventing your feelings from overriding the facts?
gatesy08
not a newbie

We are basically working on all of that now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic