Changing BC pill on break week

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Changing BC pill on break week

Unread post by daisydaisydaisy »

Hi,
I'm about to change combination pills from a higher dose to a lower one (Loestrin 20). My doctor gave me confusing information about changing but my pamphlet says I can change anywhere on the pill cycle and still be protected. Does this include the break week? I'm currently on day three and would like to start my new pill now, as I'm suffering from horrific depression/mood swings on my current one, which I've been on for over two years.

Also, does it matter if I've had condomless sex within the last couple of days? My doctor said it doesn't matter, however I've also heard that sperm can live for up to seven days, so would changing pills now leave me at risk of pregnancy?

I hope this makes sense, and thank you in advance!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Changing BC pill on break week

Unread post by Mo »

As long as you transition right from one pack to the next, taking the first pill from your new pack when you'd otherwise be taking the first pill from your current brand, you won't see any lapse in coverage and so don't need to worry about any sex you had beforehand.
It sounds like you might want to start this new pack before the next active pill is due; if that's the case it is ok to do that. You just don't want to start the new pack later. So if you normally take your first active pill on Saturday, for example, you can take the first active pill from this new pack any time from now until your regular time this coming Saturday to continue your coverage uninterrupted.
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

Mo wrote:As long as you transition right from one pack to the next, taking the first pill from your new pack when you'd otherwise be taking the first pill from your current brand, you won't see any lapse in coverage and so don't need to worry about any sex you had beforehand.
It sounds like you might want to start this new pack before the next active pill is due; if that's the case it is ok to do that. You just don't want to start the new pack later. So if you normally take your first active pill on Saturday, for example, you can take the first active pill from this new pack any time from now until your regular time this coming Saturday to continue your coverage uninterrupted.
Thank you! So it doesn't matter that it's a lower dose of oestrogen than my previous pill?
I think that's what I'm worried about, I keep reading that changing means the previous sex wasn't protected due to the hormones needing to change for a while first/the sperm being able to live for a while. I'm really not sure if it makes a difference, my doctor didn't really give me much information with that.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey daisydaisydaisy,

If you're doctor has OK'd switching to a lower dose pill you should be all set:
How Does Estrogen Dose Affect Protection Against Pregnancy

If you'd feel more comfortable though, you can always add in a back-up method like condoms.
daisydaisydaisy
not a newbie

alice wrote:Hey daisydaisydaisy,

If you're doctor has OK'd switching to a lower dose pill you should be all set:
How Does Estrogen Dose Affect Protection Against Pregnancy

If you'd feel more comfortable though, you can always add in a back-up method like condoms.
Thank you, but it's more the sex I had a couple of days I had before starting my lower dose pill that I'm concerned about. From what Mo said, I'm guessing it's fine as I started on the third day of my break week but I've just read elsewhere that you are meant to have two weeks without sex (one week before and one week after) if that makes sense! Just that info has confused me and made me anxious!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Since it sounds like your doctor is having you do this in a way that doesn't create a gap in protection, you should be okay. Too, it sounds like your doctor addressed this with you, so you can go ahead and figure you're protected.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic