Cramping on birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Cramping on birth control

Unread post by FadedPassion »

Hello!
I've been on birth control pills (Tri-cyclen) for 8 months now. I take them perfectly at the same time everyday. Each month I get cramping in the middle of my pack. It feels as though I'm getting my period but I'm not supposed to get my withdrawal bleed for about 1 and a half weeks. The cramping will sometimes be accompanied by very minimal spotting (literally just a small dot or 2 of blood but not enough for a liner). I enjoy my pills and don't want to switch. I just want to make sure that I'm still getting my full protection even if I'm cramping and getting minimal spotting?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Cramping on birth control

Unread post by Heather »

Can I check in with you first about your STI testing status? If you have been or are sexually active, when was the last time you had a screening?

I ask because some infections can present these symptoms, and because untreated infections can damage your health, that's always something you'll want to rule out first.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Hello! Sorry I forgot to mention, yes I'm all up to date with std testing. And I'm also up to date with my pap tests, blood work, etc.
Last edited by FadedPassion on Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Okay. So, unless the cramping is very painful or the spotting turns to bleeding -- or you develop other symptoms -- then it's safe to assume this probably isn't anything to worry about.

And by all means, spotting or cramping doesn't mean your pill isn't working or is any less effective. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Thank you so much Heather I really appreciate it! And no the cramping is nothing extreme. It just feels as if I'm going to get my period even though I don't. The spotting is so tiny you can barely notice it.
Thank you for easing my mind that my pill is still working correctly.

Out of curiosity, if I were to start bleeding when it's not my break week then what would that mean? Would it mean my pills aren't being as effective?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Nope, it wouldn't mean that.

It's impossible for me to say why that might happen, though, since it could happen for a bunch of reasons, most of which wouldn't likely be about your pills at all.
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Oh okay good to know! Definitely things even like a change of diet and exercise or stress I'm sure can cause symptoms like that.

As long as my protection isn't jeopardized since I'm a perfect pill user then that makes me feel a lot better!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic