anti-depressant and menstruation

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Noshi842630
Pronouns: she/her

anti-depressant and menstruation

Unread post by Noshi842630 »

Hi,
I have had a rough couple of months (changes in many meds) and now put on an anti-depressant (mirtzapem) and tapering from a benzo under the supervision of a doctor. However my period is almost 8-10 days late. I took a pregnancy test today and it came out negative. I am kind of experiencing PMS though. I am pretty sure I am not pregnant but to reconfirm I will go to a doctor.I hope my periods won't stop forever or something as I have read stuff on the internet where women have not had their period for months on mirtzapem and/or other anti-depressants. Any thoughts/suggestions as to what I should do? I am visiting the women's health clinic at the earliest, but I am quite confused at the moment.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: anti-depressant and menstruation

Unread post by Alice O »

hey noshi842630,

to learn more about your specific medications reaction with your menstruation cycle, and what to expect going forward, visiting a healthcare provider sounds like a great plan.

in addition, we have an article about missing periods that i think you may find helpful:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

can you share a little more about what makes you anxious about not having a period?
Noshi842630

Unread post by Noshi842630 »

Thanks for sharing the article. I think my worry about it is concerned that I have been very sick for the past couple of months.I was not very educated about anti-depressants, went off one cold turkey, and combined with daily life struggles... ended up very sick. After a very rough patch, I am finally getting better so was concerned that the doctor might change my meds again if my period doesn't come? I have a very time adjusting to meds and finding one that works for me. So I just got anxious thinking what if my period does not return and I get sick again.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

That sounds like a tough time to have gone through. With your concerns, I'd suggest bringing them up when you visit the doctor. If it's more important to you to not have to go through another meds adjustment than to possibly reset your cycle, that's something your healthcare provider should know and should take in to consideration.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic