Birth Control - Am I doing something wrong?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Birth Control - Am I doing something wrong?

Unread post by littlemissp »

Hi Scarleteen!

I've been on the pill since I was 16 and today while talking to my friends about birth control and the 7 days break, I realised that for six years I've been doing a 6 days break meaning (for example) I take my last pill on a saturday and start the new pill on the following saturday. I know that what I've been doing doesn't affect the effectiveness of the pill but since I noticed I was doing it wrong, I want to correct it this month. I took my last pill on saturday so I'll have to start the new package on sunday. I suppose this one day change won't change the effectiveness as well, right?
And if I continued doing that 6 day break instead of 7, would it be bad for me in any possible way?

Thank you
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth Control - Am I doing something wrong?

Unread post by Mo »

Moving to a 7-day break won't impact your pill's effectiveness at all, since it was designed to work with that length of time between active pills. :) I imagine there isn't a huge difference between taking a 6-day or 7-day break, but I think it's a good idea to transition to that 7-day break because it's always good to take medication as directed. Does your brand of pill have the week of placebo pills in the pack, or are you using a kind that only has active pills?
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Unread post by littlemissp »

Yes, you're absolutely right! I'll change it this month :) No, it's just active pills and no placebo so during the break I don't take anything at all.

Thank you for answering so quickly!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

No worries! I asked about the pills because that could be an easy way to adjust to the new timing. If you have a phone with a calendar app, or use a paper planner or calendar, making notes/reminders for the next few months, until you get used to the timing of the new start date, might be helpful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic