STI risk for fellatio without condom without cum or pre-cum

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
concerned1717
Awesomeness Quotient: openness flexibility
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: heteroflexible

STI risk for fellatio without condom without cum or pre-cum

Unread post by concerned1717 »

Hi,
I would like to know how the STI risks compare , for fellatio performed without a condom just long enough to get hard enough to put condom on, compared with STI risks for full use of condom. Are they about the same, given there was no cum or even pre-cum? or is there a big difference? % differences would be helpful if available, rather than general words like "a bit more risky" etc

is there anywhere a website that posts specific percentages? I saw a QA response from a website with a nurse answering questions, giving a specific risk % for HIV with ELISA test, being 91% accurate at 33 days. Is there a chart anywhere with that kind of info about all of the STIs in terms of specific tests and numbers of days?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: STI risk for fellatio without condom without cum or pre-cum

Unread post by Heather »

They aren't at all the same. And fluids are fluids when it comes to STIs. Pre-ejaculate carries any fluid-borne infections just like ejaculate does. STIs like HPV and Herpes don't need fluids to be transmitted in the first place.

Besides showing you stats of STIs for your age group, and showing you stats for what level of protection condoms provide from STIs (anywhere from around 75% to 90% for most STIs, and depending on type), we just can't offer what I think you're asking for. That's because what risk you are at of contracting an STI depends on the STI status of your partner, the STI and also the variables of the diversity of human immune systems. Get what I mean?

I'm afraid I don't know at all what you mean when you say, "Is there a chart anywhere with that kind of info about all of the STIs in terms of specific tests and numbers of days?" Numbers of days for what?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
concerned1717
Awesomeness Quotient: openness flexibility
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: heteroflexible

Unread post by concerned1717 »

My question was about when there are NO fluids, (I said "no cum and no pre-cum" (I know what pre-cum tastes like, there was no pre-cum) is that about the same risk (for HIV chlamydia gonorrhea and syphilis) as with a condom?

If partner has zero STI, then obviously the risk of contracting an STI is zero. If it is unknown whether partner has an STI, then it is about statistics. My question is about what is known about risk of those four STIs under those circumstances, when status of partner is unknown, i.e. IF partner had any of those four, what would be the risk of those being transmitted , with fellatio without fluids, no cum no pre-cum---is that about the same as for use of a condom?

There are charts at https://smartsexresource.com/about-stis ... -chances-0 that show , for various sex acts, with and without condom, which STIs are "easily transmitted", "can be passed", "not commonly passed", and "not passed". There is a substantial difference between where the STIs land, with vs without condom (fellatio---with condom--HIV chlamydia gonorrhea are "not passed", syphilis "not commonly passed", vs without condom all four are "easily passed". My question is about this in-between thing of mostly condom except right at beginning, with no fluids. Is is more at the "easily passed" end of the spectrum even though no fluids, or is it more at the "not passed" end of the spectrum because of no fluids.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

In theory, the lack of fluids would decrease the risks for somethings, although the risks for skin to skin STIs remains the same.

As for your second question, beyond giving you STI rates for your age cohort, there's no way to answer that. If the status of a partner is unknown, then there is a risk of STI transmission from unprotected sexual contact that is higher than if a condom was used, but we can't know the exact level of risk for the reasons Heather mentioned above. And when sex without a barrier occurs, it's better to err on the side of caution and assume that tips it more towards the easily passed. Really though, this kind of like trying to read the tea leaves at a certain point. It's easier to make sure you and your partner are tested (and if you're concerned STI transmission may have happened, that's the only way to know for sure) and to use a condom for all parts of sex next time then to try to divine where your super-specific scenario fits within data that's aggregated from a bunch of different people.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

One thing I do want to add here given your age is that the STI rate amoung seniors is nearly identical to that of young people (who have the highest rates). So, safer sex is going to be as important for you at 69 as it is for someone 19.

I would personally advise, as we do people in the age group we primarily serve, that you engage in safer sex practices, especially with new partners.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic