How do I have chlamydia and my partner doesn't?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
beautybabe
Pronouns: she/her

How do I have chlamydia and my partner doesn't?

Unread post by beautybabe »

I got tested positive for chlamydia recently and I had my boyfriend get tested as well. He was tested negative and it just doesn't make sense. We've been together for almost 2 years, I was a virgin and he has had other partners before me. He says he got tested before and was negative for everything. we both have been monogamous to each other so it just doesn't make sense to me.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How do I have chlamydia and my partner doesn't?

Unread post by Heather »

This may sound crummy or foolish, but do you feel pretty sure he didn't get tested before and get treated?

Also, did you see his results from this last test?

Lastly, when were you last tested before this recent time?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
beautybabe

He told me that he didn't get positive on any results from before. I kinda feel like he didn't specifically get tested for that but then again I'm not even sure. I didn't see his results and I was never tested because I never had a sexual partner prior to him.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Okay.

So, it's impossible to say for sure, but what sounds most likely is that you contracted it sometime in the last two years when he DID have it.

I would, however, ask to see his current results and would also advise condom use for the next six months until you both can get another round of tests (if you stay together).

Just for future reference, the best way to protect yourself with a new partner is to use condoms and other barriers for at least the first six months THEN both get tested (for what you can: male HPV tests still aren't available). If the screens are both negative, then it's going to be pretty safe to go without barriers if you want so long as you both stay exclusive.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
beautybabe

Okay I will take your advice, thank you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic