Am I too young for a vibrator?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
snazzyfox184
Awesomeness Quotient: My undenying love for watermelon
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Am I too young for a vibrator?

Unread post by snazzyfox184 »

Hi,
So, I'm 14 and after "exploring" for a bit I found a really nice masturbation technique. It still feels good but after a while the thrill went away and I kinda got bored. I've always thought about vibrators but have been really nervous about actually buying one. Today, I decided to just take the chance and order one on amazon. My mum doesn't know and the packaging is described as discreet with no relation to the contents. After I confirmed the order, I started feeling really nervous. What if my mum finds it? What if I get in trouble for buying a sex toy? Am I too young for a vibrator? I'm kinda excited for it's arrival as it's probably coming this week. I just feel like I need some reassurance ya know? :)

-Young and curious
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Am I too young for a vibrator?

Unread post by Heather »

Sure.

Vibrators and other sexual toys are basically things someone is ready for when they want to try them. They don't carry risks of infection or disease like sexual partners would, and they can't even break your heart (well, not really: sometimes ones people like break and it can be a real bummer)! And it's legal for you to have one. So, if you want one, no reason not to explore the one you bought.

In terms of any issues with your Mum, what do you think would happen if she found it? Does she have her own toys that you know of? Do you have any reason to worry about getting mistreated if she found it? Or would it just be awkward?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
snazzyfox184
Awesomeness Quotient: My undenying love for watermelon
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by snazzyfox184 »

I find that it would probably be awkward because she's the type of mother who would bring it up at some point and give me a whole speech saying I'm too young for one or something
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. In that case, it sounds like the best approach is to keep it somewhere she's unlikely to find it. Do you have places in your room that she doesn't look at or into?
sdnthegirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Super organizer

Unread post by sdnthegirl »

Hey snazzyfox184, 14 is totally not too young to want to try out a vibrator. If you find the thought of hiding a vibrator to be stressful, you might like to get a "body massager" instead. I used to have one that looked similar to this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Breo-Mini-Bo ... k/46639783

It doesn't look anything like a traditional vibrator and I was able to find it in a regular department store. It satisfied my craving for a different kind of stimulation, but I felt comfortable leaving it laying about without risking any uncomfortable questions.

If you really like the one you bought and you store it discreetly, you hopefully won't have much of an issue. If your mom does happen to find it, then try to remain calm and confident. You are exploring your sexuality on your own terms in a safe and healthy way. You're not doing anything wrong and there's nothing you need to be ashamed of.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Karyn »

(Hi sdnthegirl, and welcome to Scarleteen. This section of the boards is for staff and volunteer replies only. Thanks!)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic