Brown spotting on birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SVK28
Pronouns: She/her

Brown spotting on birth control

Unread post by SVK28 »

I am on for birth control (generic for Seasonale) which you only have your period once every three months. I have been on this form of birth control for years and have never had any problems. The last week to week and a half I have been having dark brown discharge (consistent with old blood) but this is very unusual for me (I've never had spotting or break through bleeding before ) and it's only about a month and half through the current pack. I still have about a month or more until I am due until my next period. I am consistent with taking my pill on time each day. I'm just concerned what this could be caused. I have an appointment with my doctor in about a week but I am worried now. I've read different things online which I am trying to not self diagnose. I read it could be a sign of pregnancy but I am not sure and due to my period being regulated to not be monthly I wouldn't know if I'm "late" and the accuracy of pregnancy tests decreases the further away from your period you are. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Brown spotting on birth control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi SVK28,

It was sound of you to make an appointment with your health care provider to check on this, since it's clearly causing you stress. It is possible for new symptoms to arise while on birth control, even if you've been on it for awhile. Our bodies are not machines, and every now and then they do something we're not expecting them to.

To check, if you're sexually active are you and your partner up to date on your STI tests?
SVK28

Unread post by SVK28 »

Yes we have both been checked and are clear of any STDs. We are married and we are our only partners for the last 5 years.

Is thinking of possible pregnancy unlikely?
Last edited by SVK28 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it (we ask because sometimes unexplained bleeding or spotting is a sign of an STI).
SVK28

Unread post by SVK28 »

Sorry for writing a question directly related to possibility of being pregnant. I now saw a post about that not being an appropriate question.

I don't know if you have any insight on the accuracy of a pregnancy test during my situation. I have been trying to figure out the how accurate a pregnancy test would be considering I'm not due for my period for another month and half because of the pill. Will the birth control affect the accuracy of the test?

Thank you for your responses.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Being on birth control should not decrease the accuracy of a pregnancy test. The specifics of when and how to test depend on the test you buy. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
SVK28

Unread post by SVK28 »

Ok. Thank you for all your help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic