Condom slipped off-took Plan B

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Loopsyme
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Condom slipped off-took Plan B

Unread post by Loopsyme »

Hi,
As it is stated in the topic, during the intercourse (we always use condoms as our birth control method) the condom slipped off at some point (he did not ejaculate and he says he was not even anywhere close to ejeculating at that point) and we realized it after 30 seconds. As soon as I noticed, I pulled the condom out. And I took Plan B in the next hour. This incident happened 2 days before my expected period, now I am 6 days late and there is still no bleeding. I took a home pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative. Did i take the test too early? It said on the packaging of the test that I should take the test starting from the first day of my expected period. And i was 5 days late when i took the test. By the way, I took 4 doses of pills that delays your period (i am sorry i don't know what those pills are called) as you take it, since i was on travelling. The reason why i am late can also be because of those pills + Plan B, right? Or did I take the test too early? Thank you in advance.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condom slipped off-took Plan B

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Loopsyme,

One of the side effects of plan B is that it can cause shifts or delays in your cycle, so that could be what's happening here. If you followed the directions about when and how to test, then that result is probably accurate. However, if you're concerned, you can wait a little while and test again. You may also want to walk through this article for help right now: The Pregnancy Panic Companion
Loopsyme
not a newbie

Thank you, Sam, for your answer.
I was also wondering what is the reason why it is generally recommended to take the test a few days after you miss a period? What if i had unprotected sex a day before my expected period and then i was late for a few days, in this case could it still be possible for the test result to be accurate? How much time does it take for an egg to be fertilized and your body to release the hormone that indicates whether you are pregnany or not?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

These two articles are a great place to answer those questions. One covers the ins and outs of pregnancy tests, while the other covers how conception happens and how long it takes: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Loopsyme
not a newbie

I read the articles now, "it is best to assume that you could have ovulated around the time of unprotected contact and thus you can test either 14 or more days after your risk or when your period is late/missed." do I still have to wait 14 days after the risk even though my period is 6 days late? It has been 8 days since the risk, but my period is missing. In this case, did i take the test early? If my period was late due to pregnancy, then that would mean I had enough hcg hormone in my system and the test result would be positive, right?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Waiting until the 14 day mark and testing again may help you feel calmer, since it means you will have tested both ways (waiting 14 days after the risk and testing when a period is late).

Since part of this stress is due to the condom slipping off, would you like some information on how to make that less likely in the future? Or some information on birth control methods you could combine with condoms?
Loopsyme
not a newbie

Yes, that would be so helpful.
The risk of getting pregnant from this is quite small right? My bf also told me that there should not be any sperm in his precum since it's been so long since the last time he had sex/masturbated and he urinated before the intercourse. Does this pose a big risk or do you recommend me to take another test in order to help me feel a little bit calmer. Thank you for being patient with my questions, this is the first time I am facing such a risk.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay! These two articles should get you started:
All the Barriers! All the Time!
Birth Control Bingo!

If you think it will help you feel calmer, then I would recommend taking another test.
Loopsyme
not a newbie

Okay then, now I am assuming that it is unlikely for me to get pregnant from this and I need to stop freaking out and wait for my period to come. Do I need a prescription in order to get on the birth control pills?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

You do need a prescription for birth control pills, yes. You can make an appointment with your regular doctor or a gynecologist to talk with them about getting that prescription.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic