What counts as 'perfect use'?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

What counts as 'perfect use'?

Unread post by Jellowl »

When using any contraceptive, there's aways talk of 'perfect' and 'typical' use. What classifies as perfect use when looking at the BC pill? So far I believe I have been using it in perfect use, taking it everyday and such.

Example: The person has taken the pill everyday, never missed it and has taken it on time or within a 2hr time frame (i.e: they take it at 8pm, once and a while they take it at 10pm instead); does this count as perfect use? As in, will this person have the maximum percent of protection against pregnancy?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What counts as 'perfect use'?

Unread post by al »

Hi Jellowl,

"Perfect use" in terms of birth control is usually defined as taking it consistently according to the manufacturer's directions. We generally say there is a 12 hour grace period for the combination pill and a 3 hour grace period for the minipill (progestin-only), so yes, your example would constitute perfect use. If you have more questions about your specific medication, you should refer to the information provided with it or your pharmacist.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic