Possible pregnancy risk?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

Possible pregnancy risk?

Unread post by Cookiedough0213 »

I started taking birth control three weeks ago. I am taking aubra. I started taking the pill two weeks after the start of my period, so there is a chance I could have been ovulating when I started the pill. I took my last active pill last night, and then my boyfriend and I had sex. Because it is my first month of taking birth control we decided on using condoms for backup. The condom broke while we were having sex, and we didn't realize until he pulled out. Given that I am Suppossed to start my placebo pills tonight, can I count on being protected from last night? The brand of pill I am on is a low dose, and I am slightly worried that I could start ovulating during the placebo week because it is my first month. Should I skip the placebo pill? Any advice would be great. Thank you!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Possible pregnancy risk?

Unread post by Johanna »

Since you have taken all of the active pills in the first pack, provided that you have taken them all as directed, the pill should be at its full effectiveness.

Are you and your partner up to date with STI screenings?
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

This is the first sexual relationship for both my partner and me, so we figured there is no way either of us could possibly have STIs. I was just concerned that my birth control would not be fully effective In the first month. I have read so much conflicting Information on this. Some websites have told me you are not fully protected until after the entire first package. I have taken all of my pills within an hour of my scheduled time this month
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

Also, the condoms we used had spermicide on them.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Johanna »

If both of you have never had any sexual contact with anyone else, then the risk of STIs is indeed low. However, there are some STIs that can be transmitted in non-sexual ways, so it is always smart to have regular STI tests as part of your reproductive healthcare.

What does the insert that came with your particular pill say about when it becomes fully effective? And what did the doctor who prescribed the pill to you say about when it becomes fully effective?
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

The insert on my pills says nothing about a quick start, which is what I did. Although it does say that for a Sunday start you must wait at least 7 days until you are protected. I got my pills through planned parenthood and they also said that even for a QuickStart I would have to wait at least 7 days. I did however find information online that said you would not be protected until after a full month.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Johanna »

Usually, if you start at a time other than the first Sunday after your period, it can take up to the first full month before the pill is fully effective. But since you have taken all the active pills, you have fulfilled that minimum, and your pregnancy risk should be low. However, since it sounds like you still have some questions about details of your pill, I suggest that you collect those questions and ask your doctor or pharmacist, so you know what to do when a situation like this arises.
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

What would you recommend me doing? I went ahead and started the placebo week of my pills and began my period. Since it has not been three days yet should I consider taking emergency contraception? Will that even help in this scenario?
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

Also, given the fact that I had sex on the last day of my active pill, in the chance that I do ovulate during my placebo week, would the sperm be dead by that time? I read that they only live for 3-5 days inside a woman's body. Could I become fertile in this short amount of time?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Johanna »

Since you did take the full course of active pills, there is really nothing that EC would add at this point in terms of protection, especially now that it has already been three days.

I would suggest that you simply continue with your pill-free week and then start your second pack as scheduled.
Cookiedough0213
not a newbie

Thank you for all your help! I am going to do that and hope for the best.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic