Annoying , Cliche narratives

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
DulceDiva
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my intelligence
Primary language: spanish english
Pronouns: she

Annoying , Cliche narratives

Unread post by DulceDiva »

One absoultely hate is the innocent, pure, virgin , nbk girl, who doesn't know how to pleasure herself. Since when is performing safe , consesual , legal sex a crime? She is a person not a subtstance. Being a virgin is overated , people should have sex when they feel comofortable doing so. I also hate the phrase take virginity . What narratives did you dislike? Also in first time scenes , the author always says it hurts & that the girl bleeds , not true for everyone.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Annoying , Cliche narratives

Unread post by Mo »

There certainly are a lot of tired tropes in romance/sexuality narratives.

I do agree that the concept of "taking" someone's virginity is pretty gross. Setting aside the fact that virginity is a concept that doesn't have a set definition or universal meaning, setting up any kind of sex as something that's taken from another person removes their agency and turns sex into a struggle or a transaction, not something that two people are doing together.
DulceDiva
not a newbie

Totally agree sex should never be something owed or mandantory.
Kaizen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've kept a journal for thirteen years so far
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Kaizen »

One that's really been annoying me lately is how commonly you see things like "when I met you I realized that I had never really been in love before", or "I had all these past relationships but they meant nothing because now I found this person". Rarely if ever do I see people saying that they're loving being with y person and feel it's the best relationship they could be in now, or even have ever been in, but also they've had good relationships in the past that they loved at the time.

Oh, and don't get me started on the "a male and a female can't just be friends" thing. I guess that's not a narrative per se, but I think it's an idea created by the incredible amount of stories where a male and female who are close friends get into a romantic relationship and stay together forever and ever.
ratperson
not a newbie

Unread post by ratperson »

I really hate the stereotypes where a girl has sex and it 'changes' her.

Sometimes sex changes people for good. But in these, it's usually that she dresses more provocatively, gains a bad (rebellious) attitude, becomes the kind of person her parents 'didn't want her to be', etc. It's incredibly irritating.
DulceDiva
not a newbie

Same ratperson , that one is sooo old.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic