Brown spotting a week before period.

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
stlyogi9
not a newbie

Brown spotting a week before period.

Unread post by stlyogi9 »

Hi! I noticed some brown spotting earlier today when I went to the bathroom. I wiped and there was brown and a hint of red on the toilet paper. I am on the pill and take it every day, but I think I took double over the weekend by mistake because I am a day early on my pack. I also have had some vaginal dryness and irritation after the last time I had sex, and my birth control was recently changed from one brand to another. Basically my question is, is there any way I could be pregnant? My boyfriend did finish inside me the last two times we had sex but I have never had issues on the pill with that before. I am also stressed and working out more than I usually do. I start the placebo pills on Saturday. Just looking for someone to talk to about this. Any answers are appreciated. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Brown spotting a week before period.

Unread post by Heather »

People who have been part of activities that can result in pregnancy and the ability to become pregnant always can potentially be pregnant. If you have a concern that you might be, then a pregnancy test is your next step.

In terms of any other concerns with this spotting, it is a typical side effect of birth control pills, and if you engaged in a kind of vaginal sex without enough lubrication or with irritation from something else, that can create abrasions that can also cause spotting. So long as you are also current with your STI screenings (and same goes for your partner), especially since you are having unprotected sex, and they don't show any infections, I wouldn't sweat this. I would, however, try and figure out what you could do so in the future, you have whatever you need so that sex isn't irritating for your body (like having lube on hand, for instance). Nobody wants irritating sex. :P
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic