Birth Control Too Low?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Reelgirl
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her/hers

Birth Control Too Low?

Unread post by Reelgirl »

I’ve been on birth control for about a year (Trinessa) but still have very heavy periods. I read online that this could be the hormones aren’t strong enough? Can this be true? Does this mean my birth control isn’t effective at preventing pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control Too Low?

Unread post by Heather »

Nope!

Lighter periods is a very common side effect of the pill, but like any side effects or benefits, it isn't something that happens for everyone. And having certain side effects or benefits doesn't tell us anything about if a medication is doing its job.

If you're concerned about the heaviness of your period, by all means, talk to your healthcare provider about them. They can make sure everything is okay, and they also could discuss other brands of pill or methods that may be more likely to lighten your periods if that's something you're looking for.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic