Nuva ring fell out

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
victoriatori13
Pronouns: She

Nuva ring fell out

Unread post by victoriatori13 »

Hello, I’ve been on the nuva ring for about three months. This Saturday, my nuva ring fell out after having intercourse, and I’d did not know until about 8 hours later when I got home. I washed it and put it back in. What I’m wondering is if there is a possibility I couple get pregnant, since the nuva ring is effective for up to 3 hours when it is out of your body. I have not had sex since it fell out. Should I be worried?
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Nuva ring fell out

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey victoriatori13,

Welcome to the boards :)

As you mentioned, the Nuvaring is effective for up to 3 hours out of the body. The Nuvaring may not be effective if it is left out for more than 3 hours, and it sounds like yours was out for 8 hours. So for this next cycle you can not count on your Nuvaring to prevent pregnancy. Given this, I would encourage you to do what we would tell someone who was just starting the Nuvaring to do--use a back-up method of birth control (for ex. condoms) for the rest of your cycle. How does that sound? Do you or your partner have condoms, or know where to access them?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You also may choose to use emergency contraception if you have access to it and want to do what you can to help lower any increased risk because of this mishap.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
victoriatori13

alice wrote:Hey victoriatori13,

Welcome to the boards :)

As you mentioned, the Nuvaring is effective for up to 3 hours out of the body. The Nuvaring may not be effective if it is left out for more than 3 hours, and it sounds like yours was out for 8 hours. So for this next cycle you can not count on your Nuvaring to prevent pregnancy. Given this, I would encourage you to do what we would tell someone who was just starting the Nuvaring to do--use a back-up method of birth control (for ex. condoms) for the rest of your cycle. How does that sound? Do you or your partner have condoms, or know where to access them?
Hi! Yes I do not intend on have sex again until after I insert my new nuva ring. I am just mostly worried about if I am at risk of pregnancy since I did have sex before the ring fell out. But am I still at risk of pregnancy if I do not have sex during this time?
victoriatori13

Heather wrote:You also may choose to use emergency contraception if you have access to it and want to do what you can to help lower any increased risk because of this mishap.
Hi! I tried to buy a plan b to be on the safe sid but every where in my town is out right now. :( that’s why I’ve been wrorying myself to death. Like I said above, I have not had sex since the ring fell out and don’t plan on having sex again until my new nuva ring is inserted. The ring was in while I had sex but it came out after We he intercourse.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I'm sorry you haven't been able to buy any emergency contraception for this situation! I realize this won't help you now, but some people find it helpful to buy a pack when they don't need it immediately, so they can just have it on hand if it's ever needed; that might be something to look into for the future.

For now, though, have you seen our page of pregnancy scare resources? There might be some info there to help you feel a bit more at ease about the situation for now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic