Brown discharge

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Awesomeness Quotient: My body
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Brown discharge

Unread post by Loading »

So I started taking birth control 3 weeks ago and am due for my first period on them, however my boyfriend and I were thinking about sex, and he put it in me twice on two different days however both times was just a few seconds then we both decided we weren’t ready. He put it in me today and Saturday, we didn’t use condoms or any other contraception but I notice brown discharge, this morning and just before. I’m very worried, and I’m not sure what to do.
We are both virgins and have been together almost 2 years. We are each other’s first relationship. I don’t know what to do.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Brown discharge

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Loading,

It's difficult for us to know exactly what might be causing this, especially since it could be a side effect of you starting the pill (and you're also coming up on the time you're supposed to get your withdrawal bleed, which is what you get while on the pill instead of a period). While we can't say for certain what is causing this discharge, you can take a peek at this article to get a sense of what types of discharge are normal and what types are cause for concern: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

You mention having briefly tried vaginal sex a few different times, and it sounds like at least one of those times the two of you chose not to use a condom. Since it sounds like you're concerned about some possible negative outcomes from vaginal sex, can I ask why the two of you decided to forgo a condom?
Awesomeness Quotient: My body
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Loading »

Because I went on the pill as a contraceptive and we didn’t feel the need. Especially considering it was not planned and we did not follow through.
I’m just kinda worried as to what it could be.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

As Sam noted, it could be related to starting your birth control pills, but we really can't know specifically what's causing this discharge. If, after reading through the article linked above, you're still feeling worried about it, your next step could be to call into your doctor's office to describe the issue and see if they think it's worth coming in over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic