Birth Control Help

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TooWorry
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Birth Control Help

Unread post by TooWorry »

Hello,

So I just recently started my birth control pill three days ago. I started my birth control mid-cycle (a week before my period). I’ve been taking it everyday around the same time besides today. I accidentally took it an hour late. But How do I know that this pill is actually working though? I haven’t felt different in any way... no side effects that I have noticed. I felt a little nauseous over the past few days but I don’t really know if it’s coming from the pill or not. I’ve read & done a lot of research about what some girls go through when they take the pill for the first time. But I’m actually feeling okay. Is this normal to not feel anything? I don’t know whether the pill is doing it’s job or not.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Help

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tooworry,

Since you've only been on the pill a few days, it may take slightly more time for any side effects to appear as your body adjusts to the medication. Too, just because some people experience certain side effects on the pill doesn't automatically mean you'll experience those exact same side effects. Every body reacts to the pill a little differently.

As for whether it's working, as long as you're taking it according to the directions, you can assume it is starting to take effect. It will take at least a week for it to reach it's full effectiveness and we, along with many other organizations, actually recommend waiting one full cycle of the pill before engaging in sex without a back-up method just to be sure the pill has taken full effect. You can read more about that here:
Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic