Switching from one generic bc to another generic- side effects and effectiveness

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
m716
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Switching from one generic bc to another generic- side effects and effectiveness

Unread post by m716 »

I’m usually on Blisovi FE 1/20 (I have been on many generic variations of this for the past 5 years but this recent year I have only been given blisovi). However I was just given Junel FE 1/20 which should be the same thing but I began spotting during my second week on it (no missed or late pills). I also had unprotected sex with my boyfriend during this week of spotting.

I was wondering if spotting can happen when you switch between generic brands of the same birth control prescription. And if my chances of getting pregnant have increased because of this switch and/ or because I was spotting.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Switching from one generic bc to another generic- side effects and effectiveness

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi m716,

It is possible that the spotting is a side effect of switching the pill, but we can't say for certain. The spotting itself is not something that can decrease the effectiveness. As long as you've been taking your pills consistently and correctly and there was not a gap in coverage due to you switching brands, you can assume the pill is effective.

Because unexpected spotting can sometimes be a symptom of an STI, are you and your partner up to date on your testing?
m716
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Switching from one generic bc to another generic- side effects and effectiveness

Unread post by m716 »

Thank you for your reply! Yes we are both clear of STI’s. However, I have now missed my period during the placebo week. I got my period last month like normal, then 2 weeks later into my next pack I spotted for 5 days, and now no period during this placebo week.
Is this normal to skip a period after spotting mid cycle? Can this mean I am pregnant? (Although I have never missed or taken a pill more than 1 hour late?)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! It is possible that what you experienced in the middle of your pack was your withdrawal bleed coming early. If you've been taking your pill consistently and correctly, which it sounds like you have, there's no reason to assume it isn't working. However, if you continue to have pregnancy fears, this piece outlines what to do:
The Pregnancy Panic Companion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic