Birth Control and Unprotected Sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hpink13
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Kind
Primary language: English
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: female

Birth Control and Unprotected Sex

Unread post by hpink13 »

Hi,

I have so many questions regarding the birth control pill (Generess Fe) and all types of sexual things that I am too uncomfortable to ask anyone. Ok so before I ask any questions, few things you should know about me. I've been taking Generess Fe since November of last year. I took some breaks because my gyn did not give me my prescription on time, so I had to start all over again. Anyway I am currently taking it still (continuously) for 4 months now and after 2 months I let my bf go inside me once without really doing it. I just let him in once or twice and that was it. we usually use a condom and I made sure that I finished my 1st pack before he penetrates me without a condom anyway that on the 3rd month I had spotting on Oct 1st and i was supposed to start my placebo pills later in Oct 8th but that spotting felt like it was a first day of my period very light and brown. I didn't need a pad. After that on Oct 10th I started spotting again and this was more red but very light again and those periods lasted for 1-2 days (both of them). My question is why is this happening that I get it before and during placebo pills? And also this past Friday Oct 11th I had unprotected sex for the first time but he didn't ejaculate in me. I'm not worried about stds because we were both tested but right now I'm really worried since Oct 11th was the last day of my placebo pills and I don't have hormones that day because it was the last day of my pack. Am I still protected. Also, because I was so paranoid the next day (start of my 4th month pack) I took my first active pill earlier at 4:00 pm instead of my usual 9:00 pm. Is that ok? and does changing the time affect the efficacy of my pill and the amount of protection? Also I have been researching about what happens when you take the pill and I haven't seen a step by step plan like for example what happens during the 1st week then the 2nd week while taking the pill. What happens each week while on the pill? Also, since my bf used the withdrawal method and according to my research people who do it perfectly have a 94% chance of not becoming pregnant. I also know some people who only rely on withdrawal! So again I researched more on it and I couldn't find information about how to do the withdrawal method perfectly. My bf said that he pulled out once he felt a "tingly" feeling and when he knew he was about to "go" he took it out and let it subside and put it back in. Is that how you perform that method? He said he did not ejaculate at all. I know I have so many questions but I just like to be informed before I take action on anything and continue to do something! This site is wonderful btw!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control and Unprotected Sex

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, hpink!

For some people, their withdrawal bleed starts with some light spotting, so that is not unusual. If you are getting spotting at other points in the cycle, that might also still be due to the fact that you had to stop and start again - interruptions in your birth control regimen, or taking it inconsinstently/incorrectly can lead to spotting, and that can sometimes continue for a few months even once you take it correctly again.

Once you do take the pill as directed, however, you are protected by it even during the placebo week. Here's a link to an article that explains how the pill works: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum ... 000351;p=0

Taking the pill as directed means taking it at the same time of day every day. However, that does not mean that you have to take it at the same time on the dot. You have a three hour window that you can take the pill in and consider it on time. You do not have to consider a pill late until it has been more than 12 hours since your pill time. A pill is considered missed when it has been more than 24 hours.

And here is some info on withdrawal: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... withdrawal

By the way: the doctor who prescribed the pill to you is the very best person to ask when you have questions regarding the pill.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
hpink13
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Kind
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: female

Unread post by hpink13 »

I mostly take it on the dot and sometimes I'm 1-5 min late and rarely an hour late. Did I use the pill correctly? And thank you so much for those information and I learned that it's coitus reservatus not interruptus! So what are my chances of getting pregnant if I used the pill correctly and NEVER MISSED A PILL? And I want to get a pregnancy check just to be sure. How soon from the day I had unprotected sex can I get an accurate result? Thank you so much again!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

Here is lots more information about the pill for you: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

That page also tells you the rates of effectiveness with perfect and typical use of the pill.

Most pregnancy tests will give you an accurate reading when it has been at least two weeks since the risk, but this can vary so you will want to be sure to read the instructions that come with the particular test you got.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic