A few questions about menstrual cups and reusable pads

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Someone
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help people
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she / her
Sexual identity: heterosexual female

A few questions about menstrual cups and reusable pads

Unread post by Someone »

1# I was reading this: http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/03/28 ... -products/ it says that the menstrual cup might not be suitable for those who aren't sexually active or have heavy flow, why is that?

* I haven't heard or read any other claims stating this so I don't know how accurate that really is.

2# Can you use menstrual cups while swimming?

3# What's the best thing to do with a used cloth pad if you're in a public place?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it. :)
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: A few questions about menstrual cups and reusable pads

Unread post by Mo »

Honestly, I'm not sure why that article says either of those things. I've heard from many folks who have heavier periods and love the menstrual cup specifically because it has a pretty large capacity and is unlikely to leak. My experience with it was a long time ago but I had heavy menstrual flow and it worked really well for me. Generally the best thing to do, if you decide to try a menstrual cup, is to just take note of how full it is when you go to empty it out (and do so fairly often at first), and you'll get a sense of how long you can wear it.
I don't know about the sexually active bit either; you don't need to be sexually active to feel comfortable learning to insert a menstrual cup or to situate one in your vagina comfortably.

You can use a menstrual cup when swimming!

If you're using cloth pads and know you might need to change one out, you could carry a spare and a sturdy zip-top bag in your purse or bag and just put the used one in the bag. It's important to get it rinsed out/soaked as soon as you get home, but there's no harm in carrying it around for a few hours as long as it's sealed up.
Someone
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help people
Pronouns: she / her
Sexual identity: heterosexual female

Re: A few questions about menstrual cups and reusable pads

Unread post by Someone »

Thanks, Mo!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic