IUD Strings Short?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hannyjanny

IUD Strings Short?

Unread post by hannyjanny »

Hi I have a question in relation to an IUD. I have had it since May 2014, it's super awesome. I have always been able to feel strings etc. Last night I had pretty rough consensual unprotected sex with my boyfriend, and he came inside of me (which is a first for me, but I felt comfortable asking him to do so). We had sex two more times this morning, and my vagina is pretty sore. I attempted to feel my strings inside my sore, swollen, vagina, and they feel very short to me. I am very nervous that the iud is out of place, and that I need to procure emergency contraception. Is it possible that my cervix is swollen around the strings and that is why they are feeling shorter? I am getting a gyno check up on tuesday, but would like to know sooner rather than later if I need to procure emergency contraception. Please aid in my anxiety if you have any information!

Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: IUD Strings Short?

Unread post by Heather »

This is one of those things where you really just need a healthcare provider to take a look, but for sure, swelling of anything in the area can change how this feels. I don't see any reason to assume your IUD has been at risk of not working if it clearly is still in your uterus -- which it obviously is. Plus, it's not like any kind of rough intercourse is reaching your uterus, since that's just not possible.

I'd also add that if any kind of sex is so rough that big swelling is happening, and you are super sore the next day, that's a signal it's probably TOO rough, or that you went without other things needed like extra lubricant, like being sure you're not continuing after you're not that turned on anymore, et cetera.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic