Questions about birth control and tests

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hpink13
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Kind
Primary language: English
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: female

Questions about birth control and tests

Unread post by hpink13 »

Hello,
Please help me figure this all out! I had no condom sex with no ejaculation on October 11th and had sex with a condom on on October 18th and 21st. On Thursday me and my bf were fooling around and he put it inside of me for a minute and he took it out but did not ejaculate in me. Now I took a pregnancy test on October 26th and I took it also yesterday midnight and they both came out negative. I'm on the birth control pill called Generess fe and my inactive pills which is when I'm supposed to get my period is on November 5th-8th. Did I take the pregnancy test right? Is there a chance that I can be pregnant? I have such a hard time trusting my pill! I have read some SCARY reviews in the internet about this pill and 2 of the reviews stated that they have taken it correctly as the instructions said and THEY STILL GOT PREGNANT! One of them even claimed that she was using other types of birth control method (condoms, pull-out) but STILL GOT PREGNANT! Can this be possible? Right now I am so anxious and so scared. I take the pill religiously at the same time ON THE DOT! And RARELY was late. The latest I took it was an hour late. This is my first time having sex with no condom on and I also did it during my last inactive pill! and waiting for my period is so nerve wrecking! And I'm asking myself, isn't the birth control supposed to be there for the couples who don't like to use condoms? So why am I so worried? I have no idea! I just need to know if I took my tests right and if they are accurate and if I am pregnant or not! Please help calm my anxious mind! Reassurance will be greatly appreciated! Also, I wanted to add does soy products like soy milk or protein bars containing soy interact with the pill? Thank you.
*I have been taking this bcp for 4 months now. I started on a Sunday first day of my period.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Questions about birth control and tests

Unread post by Eddie C »

If you take your pills the way they were prescribed for you -- and looks like you do -- then the risk of pregnancy would be very unlikely. There is no contraceptive method a 100% effective to avoid pregnancy thought. If and when someone is having intercourse this is something you should know and also be comfortable with. You can take as much care as you can/want with as much methods as you want, be that The Pill, condoms, withdrawal, etc. But knowing that nothing is 100% effective is very important to know. That said, I want to make very clear that The Pill alone has a very high efficency rate preventing pregnancy.

The problem when someone tells us that they had direct contact for "just one minute" is that we can't never know what "just one minute" means because obviously we weren't there. Everytime there's a direct genital contact without any kind of barriers there's a risk of pregnancy. But you have your Birth Control backing you up so that solely should be enough to avoid pregnancy.

If you feel like you can't trust your pill then I think it'd be very wise to take the time and decide if you want to switch to another birth control method. Trusting your Birth Control is as important as trusting the doctor who prescribed it and your partner.

Per the testing questions, most of tests ask you to wait at least 14 days after the last contact or to test after a missing period. From the information you are giving you haven't had a missing period and took the test only 5 days after the contact.

I also want to say that if you are NOT comfortable with the smallest change of becoming pregnant then I'd advice to stick with the kind of sexual activities that do not pose a risk. Is not fun to feel anxious about something that should be fun.

I'm leaving a couple of links for you, hope they can help you out some more:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... trol_bingo

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/etc/h ... aith_in_bc

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pregn ... ancy_tests
hpink13
not a newbie

Unread post by hpink13 »

Yes I did take it 5 days after I had sex on the 21st but I also took it on Nov 1st and the test came out negative. Did I do that right? Does this mean that the pill is effective and preventing pregnancy for me? Also how do I know that the pill is effective for me? Is there a way I can identify if the pill is effective for me or to make sure I'm not ovulating? And what I mean by one minute is that it was literally just one minute without actually having sex but had contact and he wasnt even CLOSE to ejaculating.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

If you took a test on November 1st, then you can know you took it 11 days after the last contact. Still, you are not having a missed period.

Seriously, the only way we know that The Pill -- or any method of birth control -- is working is that we do not become pregnant. That is really the only way to know. Side effects are not the same for everyone so I can't tell you that if you are having lighter periods, or less cramping, or sore breast are signs that is working because they are not proof of that. And that's exactly why I said that if and when we become sexually active -- especially with intercourse -- we need to be comfortable with the fact that there is no method a 100 % efficient preventing pregnancy.

One more time, with the pill, and also withdrawal (your boyfriend not ejaculating inside your vagina) and actually not ejaculation at all, the risk of pregnancy is very, very, very low and unlikely.

Moving forward, maybe is best to make sure that from now on -- if you don't feel safe enough -- to do not have any kind of direct genital contact without barriers such as condoms. You already did it, that's fine. We are only human but we can learn. I know that waiting sucks when we are dealing with anxiety but seriously right now is the only thing you can do.

Maybe some self-care can help you while you do so: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/abuse ... a_la_carte
hpink13
not a newbie

Unread post by hpink13 »

Sorry for all these questions but I promise this is the last one for today! Can ointments like bacitracin affect the effectiveness of birth control? Does topical antibiotics affect birth control or not?
Stephanie
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Stephanie »

As we answered in text, it's really important when you have a question on onteractions woth medications to ask your doctor or pharmacist. Since it is a weekend it would be best to call the pharmacy.

Also, please keep to one service with questions. Our answers will be the same and really it helps us just keep track with users and their needs. Thanks :)
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic