HIV risk?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
bluejumprope2
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

HIV risk?

Unread post by bluejumprope2 »

Hi, I’m a queer woman with a vulva (former username "bluejumprope" - I had trouble logging in). On Saturday I got a bit of semen in my mouth from someone who is HIV+. His viral load is undetectable.

I’m new to sex with semen-folks and HIV+ folks and can’t tell what level of concern is appropriate. I’m thinking about PEP, but I think that might be overkill given the situation.

Also, potentially related: I woke up this morning feeling sick - flu-like. It seems like that would be a couple weeks too soon for that to be HIV related, but at any rate, it’s making me nervous. I was maybe starting to get a sick a few days ago.

Would y’all think PEP is appropriate in this situation, or would you advise just waiting it out?

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: HIV risk?

Unread post by Heather »

Good to see you. :)

Here's the deal with oral transmission of HIV: we know that it is far less of a risk than vaginal or anal sex, but it is still a risk, so condoms or dams would always be advised for use with partners for those who are HIV+ and whose partners are not. Here's some good info for you on that from Avert: http://www.avert.org/oral-sex.htm

I'd suggest calling into your healthcare provider and seeing if a PEP is available to you, personally (and obviously, moving forward, would suggest safer sex with oral sex as well as for vaginal or anal sex with a partner who is HIV positive).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
bluejumprope2
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by bluejumprope2 »

It's good to see you. :)

Thanks for this info. Would it be possible to message with you privately?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I can go ahead into our chat now, sure.

It's here: http://www.scarleteen.com/webim/client.php?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic