plan b side effect or something else...?!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sadiejaye
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dancer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

plan b side effect or something else...?!

Unread post by sadiejaye »

Hi! On the last day of my last period my boyfriend and I had sex. It should be known that I am on the birth control pill and take it like clockwork but my bf and I always use a condom too, just to be safe. Well, this particular time we had sex the condom broke. As a precaution, and because we were really nervous, we went out and got Plan B and I took it about an hour after. Later that week I got cramps, which I figured was the Plan B running its course. Then two weeks later, I started spotting. It's been going on for four days now...at first it was very light and now it's gotten to the point where I need to wear a tampon. I'm a little worried because I've heard that people have had some spotting a week after taking Plan B but this is happening two weeks later for me and is heavier than spotting...is this normal? And is it likely that I will still experience my period/withdrawal bleeding next week when I've started my inactive pills?
P.s. I am very confident that I'm not pregnant but a little extra assurance/your opinion on that topic would be nice too :D :D
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: plan b side effect or something else...?!

Unread post by Heather »

We can't say what impact the Plan B will have on your withdrawal bleed: that's just not something anyone can predict.

But by all means, as the patient information that comes from Plan B usually notes, one of the most common side effects of it is spotting or other unexplained vaginal bleeding.

So long as you are also current with your own STI testing -- to rule out unexplained bleeding from infection -- there is no need for concern about that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic