I’m on the combined pill and I started getting side effects on 2nd pack of pills but had none on first one

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
xx12583x
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

I’m on the combined pill and I started getting side effects on 2nd pack of pills but had none on first one

Unread post by xx12583x »

I’m very concerned because I started taking the pill on 11th of October and I have no side effects for the first pack then withdrawal bleed came ( last week ) and now it’s finished but I’m getting cramps and sore breasts. I have never missed a pill and always take it round about the same time. Can the side effects only appear now or should I be concerned?????
Thanks xxxxxxx
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I’m on the combined pill and I started getting side effects on 2nd pack of pills but had none on first one

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi xx12583x,

Breast tenderness is a potential side effect of the pill, and since you've only been on the pill for a little over a month it's possible that your body is still adjusting and so you're still noticing new side effects.

With the cramps, we can't say for certain why those are occurring. It's more common to have a decrease in cramping while on the pill, but everybody is going to react to being on it a little differently. If you notice those cramps are not going away, or they get noticeably worse, it may be sound to check in with a healthcare provider, since cramps in your abdominal area can be due to a variety of things. Does that help clear up the situation at all?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: I’m on the combined pill and I started getting side effects on 2nd pack of pills but had none on first one

Unread post by Heather »

And just to be clear, side effects from a medication, oral contraceptives included, can happen at any time when someone is using that medication. They also won't always happen, or won't all happen. However, it's most common for side effects from oral contraceptives to be strongest within the first few months of using them. After that, most unpleasant side effects tend to stop or get more mellow for most pill users.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
xx12583x
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by xx12583x »

Hello, yes Sam and heather , that was helpful , the cramps have stopped and so have the sore breasts so I’m okay now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic