STI or UTI/Yeast Infection?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
gsbago987
not a newbie
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

STI or UTI/Yeast Infection?

Unread post by gsbago987 »

Hi,

I have never had a UTI or yeast infection, nor an STI. I have been sleeping with my boyfriend without condoms for the past 5 months or so, and we are in a monogamous relationship (and I trust that he hasn't cheated). He says he has been tested before and been negative, though I stupidly never asked when that was or if he had been with others in between then and me. Last week I started noticing slight burning at the end of my urination, but it wasn't always and it would come and go. No other symptoms, no frequency or urges to urniate, and I didn't have any strange discharge that would be associated with an STI. I said if it lasted one week, I would have it checked, so I did this morning. The urgent care center's test came back negative for a UTI on the dipstick, so they did a pelvic examination. The doctor thought everything looked fine there and prescribed Macrobid and the anasethetic drug that turns your urine yellow for me for a possible mild UTI, and said he could do STI tests if I wanted but he didn't think it was necessary. I had him do Chlamydia and Gonorrhea just to be safe, and will have those results in 3-5 days.

Now when I just got out of the shower, maybe 5 hours after taking the first pills, I am having light yellowish cottage cheese looking discharge. Would this be an STI symptom? or I know friends have had yeast infections develop from antibiotics so could it be that? It just seems strange to show up and him not notice any kind of irritation or abnormality with my pelvic exam just this morning.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: STI or UTI/Yeast Infection?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi gsbag,

There's not a way for us to know what, exactly, is causing the discharge. But you're right that discharge of that type means something is up. Your best bet is to call your health care provider again and let them know that you're having these symptoms.

I would also say that you might want to consider a full STI screening, just so you have that info going forward. And I'd suggest using condoms until those results come, just to be safe. Is there a particular reason you don't use condoms?
gsbago987
not a newbie

He is fine with using them and we can usually get them on fine but within 60 seconds he loses his erection completely.

My discharge has been totally normal consistency since, and I think that its odd color is from the pyridium medicine I'm taking, it's the same kind of neon orange as my urine and it says it can affect urine, feces, and even tear color so perhaps vaginal discharge as well?

I had back pain yesterday too - do you know If it's normal to have a negative urine test yet still have a uti?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Has he practiced using them by himself, for masturbation? Sometimes that helps folks in that kind of spot, just by taking the pressure off having someone else around can put on things (even if and when partners are being lovely and patient). learning to get used to them on his own may translate into that issue going away when using them with partners.

(Mind, you can know for sure that is a psychological issue -- per having some kind of negative attitude or feeling about condoms -- because the pressure condoms put around the base of the penis actually *helps* sustain erection, rather than the other way round.)

If you are now also having back pain, then again, we would strongly urge you to call this into your healthcare provider. These symptoms are things they need to know about, and they are the only people who can soundly figure out what's going on and get you treated properly.

That medication, btw, will not tend to make vaginal discharges change in texture or color, so it is doubtful that change is about the orange meds. They discolor urine or feces because they go through your bladder, digestive and and urinary tract, but not the vaginal canal or uterus.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
gsbago987
not a newbie

Hi!

I went in to see the gyno, and she said that it was normal discharged dyed from the medicine, apparently my whole area down there was a bit tinted. (and thanks for the tips on condom use, we did a ton of foreplay and after about ten (!) tries we got him to keep his erection with the condom.)

The gyno called back on Monday and said all of my tests for everything were negative, but by Monday I had a weird burning sensation down there. She couldn't get me in to see her until next week but guessed it was a yeast infection from antibiotics. I brought up the possibility of herpes since she didn't test for it (no lesions or any reason for her to think it was herpes she said) and she said she really didn't think it was the case and that everything looked completely normal when she had seen me the week before. By Monday afternoon it was really uncomfortable so I walked into the nearby PP to be seen. She also said there was no sign of herpes lesions, and said she didn't think a herpes test was necessary because it was expensive and most people have exposure to type 1 anyways. She was very positive it wasn't herpes, but did say many people have it without symptoms. She said I had a mild yeast infection and gave me diflucan to take on Monday and then again today if symptoms hadn't subsided.

I know I"m being totally irrational, especially since two doctors have told me they really don't think its herpes, but is just burning (no itching) normal for a yeast infection? It's all over, not just in a specific spot and I'm all red/irritated down here, but no bumps or anything like that. I've never had one before and I am reading way too much online, I"m not sure why I'm trusting message boards over two doctors who saw me in person. Every little backache and twinge has me on edge. I can trust the doctors, right?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

Yeast infections can cause itching or burning, and symptoms can vary from person to person. There's no reason not to trust what the doctors have told you: this is their job, they know what they're looking for and they've examined you in person. You can trust them, seriously.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
gsbago987
not a newbie

thank you :)

and thanks to all who volunteer for this site. It is really a great resource and is very appreciated
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

Glad to help! :)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic