Birth control bleeding

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lliott2017
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Birth control bleeding

Unread post by lliott2017 »

I have just started on birth control pills but after one week I started experiencing bleeding while still on the active pills. I thought this might just be breakthrough bleeding but it has continued to now almost two weeks and it is a very heavy flow, very similar to my period. I know it has only been a few weeks but is this normal and I should just continue to see how my body reacts as I continue on the pill? Or should I call my doctor and change it even though I just started?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth control bleeding

Unread post by Mo »

Hi there lliott2017, and welcome to Scarleteen. It's not uncommon to have some irregular bleeding when first starting birth control pills, but since it's a heavy, period-like flow that's been going on for a few weeks, I think it's worth bringing this up with your doctor to see what they think and if they want to switch you to another pill or have you try and stick it out for a while longer. This doesn't strike me as particularly worrisome, but at the very least it may be inconvenient and it's okay to check in with a doctor to see if they have any thoughts about making this medication (or something similar) work a bit better for you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic