Switching birth control pills! Am I overreacting?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hpink13
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Kind
Primary language: English
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: female

Switching birth control pills! Am I overreacting?

Unread post by hpink13 »

Hi I have been on Generess fe for 5 months and I had problems with spotting in between my periods so my gyno decided to switch me to Junel fe 1/20 and she instructed me to take the first Junel fe active pill after the last Generess fe placebo pill. I did just that, but I did some research and some websites say I needed to use backup for 7 days when switching to a new pill but isn't it just the same thing though? Now I'm really scared that I'm pregnant because me and my bf did not use a condom on Tuesday which was my 3rd day on Junel. I started Junel just how I would when starting a new pack of Generess fe. Does this mean there were no "gaps" even when there is technically a gap on the placebo pills? I'm just so confused please explain this to me!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Switching birth control pills! Am I overreacting?

Unread post by Heather »

Nope, you don't need to worry about backing up when you switch pills that way, without changing the cycle of pills -- taking all the actives from the last pack, then moving on to the next one without missing more than 7 days of either pill in between. :)

Your doctor knows what they're doing.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
hpink13
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Kind
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: female

Unread post by hpink13 »

So I technically did not have a gap since I started my new pack right after I finished my placebo pills right? And I know that my gyno gave me a lower estrogen pill but higher progesterone than my old one. Does the change in dosage affect the protection I have?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

Yes: if you started the new pack right after your 7-day break, you did not have a gap.

And no - all birth control pills are designed to prevent pregnancy, so that protection does not change based on the specific make-up of the brand you are taking.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic