Lubricant

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Yunlad
not a newbie
Pronouns: She her

Lubricant

Unread post by Yunlad »

Hi, may I know what is the shelf life of a lubricant? Because in the bottle it said used within 3 months of opening, I used the water base by durex, but today I used it after open it for 4 months plus, and i got burning sensation from it. And the expired date is till 2021, is it safe to use it? And if it has passed the 3 months of opening will it affect the condom? Like is it tend to break easily in using expired lubricant? Thank you
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Lubricant

Unread post by Heather »

Sometime lube can feel burny if you wait to use it until AFTER your genitals are already feeling raw or sore -- like if you don't use it at the start of things, and only add it when you start to feel discomfort or pain. If that's what you did, given the expiration date, I'd figure the lube is probably fine and you can try using it again.

But if it burns again -- even when you use it ahead of time -- or the above isn't what happened and it burned, I'd personally ditch it and get a new bottle, figuring I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Either way, no, this isn't likely to compromise your condoms in any way.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Yunlad
not a newbie
Pronouns: She her

Unread post by Yunlad »

Thank you Heather, will try to use it with ur directions :)
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

You're welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic