"New" User

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
unusualcipher
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm pretty good at embroidery
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual/Pansexual

"New" User

Unread post by unusualcipher »

Just an introduction, since I don't know what else to do with myself here.

I'll be 30 in two days and have been interested in psychology, and particularly the psychology of sex, since I was a teenager using Scarleteen back in the AOL days. Scarleteen was there for me back then, and I'm so happy to see that it's still around and kicking so well. It's been a long time since I've used traditional message boards, but I'm truly hoping to be able to volunteer either with Scarleteen or with other orgs in the future, as I slowwwwly save up to go to grad school for a Masters in Couple & Family Therapy.

I currently work in IT, but Dr. Kinsey didn't start studying sex until his late thirties, and Virginia Johnson didn't start working with Dr. Masters until she was 32, so I know it's never too late to shift gears. :)
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: "New" User

Unread post by Jacob »

Always good to hear form an oldie! What was your username?

Incidentally I'm the same age but I never left. It's great to hear you're looking to get into something related!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
unusualcipher
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm pretty good at embroidery
Sexual identity: Bisexual/Pansexual

Unread post by unusualcipher »

Hallo! I was never actually on the message boards - I don't think I knew there were message boards here back then - but I browsed the site articles all the time. This was the first site that taught me that not everything that "everyone knows" was necessarily true, and that people "knew" a lot of incorrect stuff. It really helped set the stage for me that sex education needed to be a bigger deal than it was - and is.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

It's never too late to make a career change! I'm 30 and doing the same thing after 10 years working in the life sciences. You're in a good place to make that change :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic