Abnormal bleeding and horrible anxiety??

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Baby2you1
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Abnormal bleeding and horrible anxiety??

Unread post by Baby2you1 »

So in May I took plan B approx 1-2 week before my peroid and after I ovulated. I got my peroid as normal. However, the following month I was 8 days late on my peroid. After it came, it changed in characteristics: didn't turn dark brown/red during the last days of my peroid cycle. It just stayed bright red. In addition, in the months (we are now in oct) following at some random time in my cycle, I would notice some bright red blood (about the amount you would get from a paper cut). It comes at a random time in my cycle, and only once a month. I have no pain. No other symptoms or anything. In addition to all of this, I have been having a hard time going to a doctor because of a horrible experience I had with one a few months ago. It causes me great anxiety and need some advice on what is going on/how to move forward. Can plan B cause a change in cycle which causes random bleeding for months? I have never been on any type of birth control and my peroids have always been regular. Im also 23
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Abnormal bleeding and horrible anxiety??

Unread post by Mo »

It is possible for Plan B to cause menstrual irregularities for a while, but if you took it in May I'd be surprised if it was still having a direct impact now. Some people do experience spotting with ovulation, or just before their period gets started, and either of those might be what you're noticing when you see a small amount of bleeding at times other than your period. (I'm not sure how you're tracking your ovulation, but if you're using an app that's just estimating it based on when your periods come, using no other data, be aware that this is a very rough estimate only and not reliable.)
What you're describing here doesn't sound like a reason you would need to rush to a doctor right away, but I am concerned that you are having a lot of anxiety around seeing a doctor in general. If you're comfortable, can you talk a little more about your fears around seeing a doctor, so we can maybe troubleshoot this and see if there isn't a way to get you more comfortable? Even if you don't need to get in to see someone right now, it's important to be able to get yourself to a doctor when there is a pressing need, and for regular checkups.
Baby2you1
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by Baby2you1 »

So at the time I went, my peroid was 3 days late and I was worried. I had taken multiple pregnancy tests and they all came out negative. I went hoping to get a hormone test, as I thought it was plan B effects. With the nurse, she messed up taking my blood pressure, as in shee just didn't start the machine and wrote a random number. She asked if I ever had a pap, I said no and was not interested in one today after she asked if I wanted to do one. The doctor spent 20 min telling me about his vacation, made a joke that I'm probably pregnant when I told him that I'm not on birth control and me and my boyfriend use condoms, and never addressed my concerns. He even made a joke that I sounded disappointed when I said I was only sexually actibe for 2 years.
He moved me to the gyno, who made the same jokes, refused to do a hormone test because "plan B doesn't affect hormones" apparently, and ignored everything I was saying. I told him I had regular peroids all my life, and he looked at me like I was lying. He mentioned that being fat affects peroid cycle, I said that I have been this weight all my life and had no effects. He kept poking at me anf lifting my clothes and touching my face, and mentioned I have more hair than a regular woman. I'm middle eastern, my hair is just darker. I have a lot of acne scaring from childhood that hasn't gone away. He asked if me and my bf live with each other, and said we won't last if we don't when i said my bf is still finishing his degree. He said he would give me a pap, but I didn't want one because idk how that is gonna tell him anything. He didn't listen and just said to get ready for one. I don't have pcos as i have been tested before and it came negative. He also said the pregnancy test came negative, but its probably wrong. I don't want comments on my relationship or jokes made. That was my experience and I can't go back because I'm scared of the judgment and jokes and everything
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Oof, that sounds like some seriously unprofessional behaviour from your doctors, which is a lot to deal with when you're already feeling stressed out. Inappropriate "jokes", irrelevant comments about your body and relationships and pushing you into procedures you've not asked for or consented to are totally out of line.

I can see why going back feels intimidating. I also agree with Mo that it's important to have a way of accessing healthcare so that it's there for you when you need it. As far as I can see it, the broad options come under the headings of "finding a new doctor" or "finding ways to make this doctor less awful", which might include conversations with them/the people they report to about what is and isn't acceptable.

Can you have a think about what your options are for changing doctor? Are there others at that practice that might be a better fit, or do you have the option of changing to a different practice?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic