Yeast infections

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Foreverl0st
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can put both my feet behind my head.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Yeast infections

Unread post by Foreverl0st »

For the past few years, I've been getting a lot of yeast infections. Like, at least one a month. I don't know why, by what would be some possible causes/solutions
“I'm not good, but I was worse.”
"Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't."
― Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Yeast infections

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Foreverl0st,

Oof, that must be pretty annoying! There are a couple different things that can cause recurrent yeast infections like this. Yeasts tend to thrive in humid environments, so wearing wet or sweaty clothes for long periods of time might make infections more likely. Using scented products or douching can disrupt your natural pH balance, and taking antibiotics often can cause an imbalance in your vaginal environment that allows yeasts to grow. Taking birth control or hormonal therapy with high levels of estrogen, being immunocompromised, or having a condition like diabetes can also make infections more likely.

If you've been having recurrent yeast infections, the solution would be to see a doctor — they can rule out other similar conditions and prescribe antifungal treatments. Just to check, would you tell as a little about your symptoms?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic