Yeast infections

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Foreverl0st
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can put both my feet behind my head.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Yeast infections

Unread post by Foreverl0st »

For the past few years, I've been getting a lot of yeast infections. Like, at least one a month. I don't know why, by what would be some possible causes/solutions
“I'm not good, but I was worse.”
"Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't."
― Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Yeast infections

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Foreverl0st,

Oof, that must be pretty annoying! There are a couple different things that can cause recurrent yeast infections like this. Yeasts tend to thrive in humid environments, so wearing wet or sweaty clothes for long periods of time might make infections more likely. Using scented products or douching can disrupt your natural pH balance, and taking antibiotics often can cause an imbalance in your vaginal environment that allows yeasts to grow. Taking birth control or hormonal therapy with high levels of estrogen, being immunocompromised, or having a condition like diabetes can also make infections more likely.

If you've been having recurrent yeast infections, the solution would be to see a doctor — they can rule out other similar conditions and prescribe antifungal treatments. Just to check, would you tell as a little about your symptoms?
Foreverl0st
not a newbie

Um. Really thick, white, discharge with no scent.
It itches and burns a lot, and there's often a rash in that area.
Usually it gets worse over 2-3 weeks, and then slowly fades out. Comes back 2-5 weeks later.

Since nothing I use in that area is scented, and for comfort reasons I usually change out of wet or sweaty clothes within 10-15 minutes, I don't know if either of those would be the cause. No antibiotics, birth control, hormonal therapy, or immune diseases or diabetes. (at least from the last time I was checked, a year ago)

I don't mind the discharge, but the itching and burning is horrible.
Latha

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Foreverl0st,

Those factors might make yeast infections more likely, but they definitely are not the only causes. This does sound horrible, so it is past time for an intervention — I think seeing a doctor should be your next step. Do you think you can ask some adult in your life to take you to one?

If you want, we can talk about what you can expect from the appointment.
Foreverl0st
not a newbie

Um. I could ask my parents, but I'm only really allowed one major medical issue every two months, and just a month ago I got a UTI, so asking too soon will get me in trouble.
Knowing what that appointment would look like would be helpful though.
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Forevrel0st,

I'm so sorry to hear anyone has tried to place that limit on you... Being only allowed a medical issue every two months sounds terrible not to mention a completely unrealistic expectation; you can't help what your body does! If anything, being under stress or pressure like that can add to your ailments. Are you saying this is a limit your parents have placed on you, or is more that it is a limit of your insurance? Even if it's the latter, it's not your fault if the insurance is lacking.

Also I wouldn't call either of these "major" medical issues; you're not asking for a hip replacement! You like anyone deserve a bare minimum of routine care, and these are routine issues that come with having a body. You should never have to be in trouble for having a body, and speaking about what's hurting or ways you might be unwell. Are there are other needs you have, which they treat this way?

With yeast infections, I'd recommend giving this a read: The why and how-not of yeast infections - and if you can figure that a change in diet for example helps the yeast infections go away, that might be a win that can help you avoid seeking medical attention. Do you think there's any caffeine in your diet you could cut out, or sugary carb-heavy food you can reduce to see if that makes a difference first?

With what to expect when seeing a doctor about recurring yeast infections, if even after trying everything they're still not going away - I can't say how your specific doctor will react (some are better than others!) However, they may ask you to take a swab, or give a urine sample and/or a blood sample, then the treatment they prescribe is likely to be on whether they discovered any underlying conditions based on the results of blood tests. If they find that you have a treatable condition they can prescribe meds, or make it clearer which kinds of lifestyle changes are most likely to help you.

Depending on where you live, asking a pharmacist about your situation might also be helpful in
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Oops, I just read your other thread where you said your parents even control what shampoo and conditioner you use - I won't make you repeat all that here, but I agree that that all sounds very controlling indeed. I will say that healthcare is important, and having your healthcare needs neglected is a very serious thing. This sounds like quite an isolating environment grow up in. I'm really thankful that you're able to be here talking to us!

Have you ever mentioned to anyone locally how your parents are treating you?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Foreverl0st
not a newbie

Thanks for telling me how the doctor appointment would go, and the link ill definitely check out.
Yeah, I told people, and got laughed at. So I don't talk about it anymore.
KierC
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they

Unread post by KierC »

Hi there Foreverl0st,

I’m sorry to hear about all of this: both that you’re dealing with the pain and burning with frequent yeast infections, and that your parents are treating you in such a way that it’s hard to access medical care, let alone make basic decisions about your body. Echoing what Jacob said, your parents neglecting your medical needs is a serious issue that warrants being taken seriously by another adult. I am so sorry to hear, though, that when you tried to speak up, you got laughed at. It’s completely inappropriate to laugh at someone when they speak up for help, and I am so sorry that people chose to treat you like that. I know how this can make you not want to talk about it anymore. May I ask, was this an adult who laughed at you for speaking up, or a peer? I do think this is something that could be brought to someone like a teacher or school counselor (though, if it was a teacher or adult who laughed at you for speaking up, that’s another issue that perhaps a *more* trusting adult needs to know about.)

Apart from that, if you go through the article on yeast infections and have any thoughts or questions about how it relates to you, we’re glad to keep discussing it with you as well. After all, if there’s a way we can get to the reason for the yeast infections in the meantime, that’d be ideal, but if it persists we can help you find a way to seek medical care, or tell a trusted adult what’s going on. How does that sound to you?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic