Combined pill side-effects and copper IUD

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
morillandry
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Combined pill side-effects and copper IUD

Unread post by morillandry »

Hi Scarleteen,

I have two birth control questions:

1. I've been on the combined pill (AVA 30 ED) for about two and a half months now, and so far have been taking the hormone pills back-to-back as normally I get quite bad period cramps. I haven't had any physical side-effects besides spotting, but I've also noticed I've been much more angry than usual at what should be minor things, and there have been a few times recently where I've suddenly started crying for no reason. I never had PMS, I don't normally cry or get angry often, and I haven't been under any unusual amount of stress, so I'm very confused as to why it's happening, which makes me think it could be the pill. However, I've also tried to read up online about this and most of what I've found has said there's no evidence that the pill gives you mood swings.

Basically I'm wondering if it's likely/possible the mood swings are an effect of the pill, and if they could be, could it help if I either stop taking it continuously or shop around different pill brands? Or should I stick it out a while longer to see if it improves after a few more months? I'm 21, this is the first method of birth control I've used, and the information in the pill packet does say that "mood change" is a reported side effect, if that helps.

2. As I said I have quite bad cramps in the first day or two of my periods - not enough that I'm completely incapacitated, but I generally take pain relief for them, and there have been times despite that where I've been woken up in the night by them or haven't been able to sleep. I know the copper IUD isn't suitable for people who have particularly painful periods, so am I likely to fall under that umbrella? I'm aware I could get the Mirena as well, but where I live it's too expensive for me to afford, whereas the copper IUD is apparently free.

Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Combined pill side-effects and copper IUD

Unread post by Karyn »

Some people do find that the combined pill affects their moods. Sometimes that's a side effect that settles down considerably or disappears after the first few months, sometimes not. With any method, you do want to give your body a few months to adjust before figuring that it's not a good fit for you, so I'd say since you've already been on the pill two and half months, if you find after this pack that you're still having problems, it might be time to talk to your doctor about switching to another brand of pill or another method altogether.

If you are interested in the copper IUD, that's something to talk to your doctor about too - it does tend to make periods heavier and more painful, but a doctor is the best person to evaluate whether it would work for you. I'm not familiar with the healthcare system in NZ, but there may be a way for you to get the Mirena at a lower cost as well if you would be interested in that one, so it's worth asking your doctor about that too.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic