Buying book(s)

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My lust for knowledge will never be satisfied.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Heterosexual Male

Buying book(s)

Unread post by TheNiteHawk »

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, I have a bit of a dilemma. I would like to order the Scarleteen "S.E.X." book off of Amazon, as well as "The Young Atheist's Survival Guide". My parents know that I'm an Atheist (they aren't super happy, but they generally don't bother me about (they're relatively devout Christians)) and my mother knows of my decision to not wait until marriage to engage in partnered sexual activities, but until I feel ready. My father doesn't, and I don't think he'd be too happy about it.

You see, I don't know how they'd react to a package showing up at their door addressed to me. They might open it or have me open it, and I don't know what they'd do or how they'd react.

I tried visiting my local Post Office to see if "general delievery" was possible. I was told (by a very rude guy) that it was for temporary visitors and I'd have to change my address.

I tried one of my friends, but he said his mother wouldn't be happy with him getting packages for me. My other friend's parents are in contact with my own parents too much to attempt them.

P.O. boxes are too expensive.

I could order it up at the bookstore, but I hardly ever get up to the mall where the bookstore is located. Also I have Amazon gift cards.
-----

So, I don't really know what to do in this situation. Shame I have to go through so much just to get a book or two. Any ideas, anyone?
Enemy to those who make him an enemy; friend to those who have no friends.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Buying book(s)

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Nitehawk,

This is a bit of a toughie, and hopefully some other folks might have some more suggestions. However, one thing I can think of is checking the library in your town (if you haven't already) to see if they have those two books, or if they can bring them in from another branch for you. It would mean, of course, that you wouldn't own them, but it would give you the chance to read them.
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Thanks Sam! Especially for the quick response.

I checked my local Library, and they don't have it in there. I checked the entire state Library registry (which I don't know if my Library has access to) and only ~28 Libraries in my entire state have the S.E.X. book. I didn't even check the Atheist book.

Of course, I could always just have it sent to my house and to say "to hell with the consequences." Except I don't know what might happen to my book(s), and in turn, my money.

I'll think on it more. In the meantime, thanks for the response!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Nitehawk,

You're welcome. I think it is worth it to weigh the most likely outcomes (both positive and negative) and then see if you feel like ordering the books is worth it.

Do your parents generally open mail or packages that come for you?
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Thanks Sam! That's a good idea, to weigh the outcomes.

Well, I don't usually get any packages for myself. Usually my mother orders something and I add some other things, usually other books, onto the order. Then it all comes in one package, which she either opens and gives me what I also got or gives it to me to open and give her what she ordered.

For example, the last thing she bought was a flag for my grandmother, and I bought a SATA to USB converter. She gave me the package, which I opened and took out my hardware and gave her the package with her flag in it.

I don't think I've gotten anything for myself in a long time, and even then only near my birthday and never from Amazon specifically addressed to me.

It really is a shame that it's so difficult for me to order books. *sigh*
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Unread post by Keda »

Amazon has a rather neat system called Amazon Locker, whereby you can tell them to ship to one of their Locker locations near you (over here they're mostly in shops and train stations), and then head over there any time in the next 48(?) hours to pick up the package. You can search to see if they have any near you here. I guess it's designed for people who are out all day and can't stay home to wait for the postman, but I've used it when I'm travelling to pick stuff up on my way through a city, and it'd work well for getting packages that you don't want delivered to your door, too, assuming there's a Locker near you.

Although I will add to that, I totally understand the convenience of Amazon and the difference that vouchers can make if you're short on cash - but if you can do it, it's always better to order from bookshops (or other sites), just because Amazon has a proud track record of treating publishers and authors like crap.
zeitvogel
not a newbie
Pronouns: him

Unread post by zeitvogel »

One thing you could try is a "test drive". Can you order some really cheap book, and see what happens when it arrives?
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

I had a friend (I was being too lazy to create my own Account, heh) check the Amazon Locker thing yesterday, buy sadly, there are none near where I live. :( Much appreciated for your input, though. It would have been an excellent solution.

Buying a cheap book, or even better, a book that I also want that won't possibly cause strife, is a fantastic idea. I'll look into it and see if there are any books that I want. Thank you kindly for the idea!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Are you currently enrolled in school? If so, how about requesting these books at your school library?

I am happy to donate copies of mine to school libraries, for the record. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

That would be an idea. I am enrolled in School. It still doesn't solve the problem of how to own them (which I'd prefer, because I like books), but it might work.

In fact, I even sent an email letter to my Principal at the end of last year regarding sexual education in my school and requests to unblock (blocked under “sex-education”) certain sexual education websites, including Scarleteen; Sex, Etc.; and Planned Parenthood - Info For Teens.

Also, thanks for the offer, Heather. :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Sure thing! Feel free to use the link at the bottom of the page here to contact us with the address of your school if you would like me to donate a copy!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Unread post by Keda »

Oh, another thought - if the books are available as ebooks on Amazon, you can read them on your computer or phone using the Kindle application/app. No delivery required. :) However, it would also be awesome for the books to be hanging around the school library for other people to find. :P
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

That would be a good idea, but I have neither a Kindle nor a Smartphone. Call me old-fashioned, but I like having the physical book. :geek: At least with not novel-type books.

It would be nice for other people in my school to have access to such books. Perhaps...
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Hate to bump an older post, but through an excessive amount of planning, scheming, waiting, thinking and debating, I was finally able to obtain myself a copy of "S.E.X." off of Amazon. I found someone who was willing to hold it for me until I was able to pick it up. :) I haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Right on :) So glad to hear you were able to get yourself a copy
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Nice! I'm glad you found a way to get your own copy! :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

YAY! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic