Could she get pregnant?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
PaulDeCosta123
not a newbie

Could she get pregnant?

Unread post by PaulDeCosta123 »

I had sex earlier with my girlfriend, we are both young but over the legal age. We were having sex when i noticed something weird with the condom (durex extra safe) it just felt weird so i took it off and put a new one on at this stage we had only had sex for a minute or two. we used the new condom and i checked after sex and it was fine no worries. The first condom i shoved into the box and pushed the foil rapper in too. When i checked this condom there were two small pin holes near the top id say about an inch and a half away from the tip, along the shaft. I dont know if this happened during or after i took it off. But my girlfriends due her period tomorrow but still has irregular periods so shes not actually expecting it tomorrow. Could this be a risk, im freaking out but she's not i need a genuine answer. I also checked the wrapper before applying the condom to see if the air was still in the packet and it was so it had to have happened during or after, so worried.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Could she get pregnant?

Unread post by Karyn »

If the condom was damaged during intercourse, then yes, that would present a risk of pregnancy. However, without ejaculation, that risk is low: you can figure it's about the same level of risk as using withdrawal, which has a 96% effectiveness rate over the course of a year. Emergency contraception (the morning after pill) is an option to reduce that risk, but it's up to your girlfriend to decide whether or not she wants to take it.

You might find these articles of use:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)
Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

(By the way, please don't double post. It won't help your question get answered any faster, and it's against the guidelines you agreed to when you registered for the message boards. Thanks!)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
PaulDeCosta123
not a newbie

Thanks, would she have a less chance of being pregnant due to the fact her period is due tomorrow or withing the next few days?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Intercourse always presents a risk of pregnancy. And, unless your partner has been charting her cycles consistently for at least a few months, and is aware of when she ovulates, it's not sound to try and calculate when she was fertile and take that into account when figuring out the risk. Really, you just have to assume that there is always a risk, and act appropriately.
PaulDeCosta123
not a newbie

she calculates all her cycles and she said on her period tracker app said since her ovulation and fertile period its been over a week so does this lessen the risk?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Unfortunately, most period tracker apps do nothing more than count days, which isn't terribly accurate.

The bottom line is that there is always going to be a risk of pregnancy when you're having the types of sex that can result in pregnancy. So there was a risk here, albeit a low one; if your girlfriend wishes to take EC to reduce that risk, she can do so, but there's really nothing else that can be done at this point.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic